Parked overnight now truck doesn’t start.
02-26-2022, (Subject: Parked overnight now truck doesn’t start. ) 
RE: Parked overnight now truck doesn’t start.
I kept trying the key and it fired up just like the last time it did this to me months ago.Just like this time I parked at the receiver and when I went to start it back up in the morning the same bs.
replyreply
oh yeah.. along with my last post... your going to want to replace the power steering hoses (all of them to/from the engine) right away after you solve the ground problems. There is no doubt that those hoses have gotten damaged by all of the battery current flowing thru them that it is not supposed to handle.

your lucky it has not caught on fire from it. - it should have been fixed the first time it acted up.. unlike people.. "trucks cannot heal themselves".. they rely on us for that.. and minor issues become big problems if not taken care of at first sight or suspicion ... such is the law of entropy.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Nostalgic , Redland1
(02-26-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  I kept trying the key and it fired up just like the last time it did this to me months ago.Just like this time I parked at the receiver and when I went to start it back up in the morning the same bs.

Grounding or corrosion issue def sounds like whats at play. Check all connections thoroughly. The 11.6v with just the key on is def too low. Could be an occasional short or a faulty ground. Remember, electricity is only as effective as the circuit is complete. Add a few obstacles and even the strongest current isn't worth a damn when not directed properly.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Redland1
(02-26-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  Here’s a video of the smoke I’m talking about.And also me turning the key and the sound it makes.Could it be that the power steering pump is locking up?

https://imgur.com/a/FCVTziw

You're starter/block is grounding through your power steering hose.

Wow, either I'm slow today or everyone else is a cup of caffeine ahead of me.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(02-26-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  oh yeah.. along with my last post... your going to want to replace the power steering hoses (all of them to/from the engine) right away after you solve the ground problems. There is no doubt that those hoses have gotten damaged by all of the battery current flowing thru them that it is not supposed to handle.

your lucky it has not caught on fire from it. - it should have been fixed the first time it acted up.. unlike people.. "trucks cannot heal themselves".. they rely on us for that.. and minor issues become big problems if not taken care of at first sight or suspicion ... such is the law of entropy.

The first time I went home and cleaned up all the battery terminal and wire connections and also cleaned the outside of the battery cases.Then I load tested them and they came out good.How do I go about finding the grounding issues? I suck at anything electrical lol.
replyreply
(02-26-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  There is no doubt that those hoses have gotten damaged by all of the battery current flowing thru them that it is not supposed to handle.

From my youth, you can start a Ford 302 maybe twice by only the mechanical temperature gauge as your ground. Also serves as an under dash glow light for a very short time...

./uploads/202202/post_2789_1645890246_bbcc89f0514e008f99c4c316d61f7049.jpg
replyreply
(02-26-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  The first time I went home and cleaned up all the battery terminal and wire connections and also cleaned the outside of the battery cases.Then I load tested them and they came out good.How do I go about finding the grounding issues? I suck at anything electrical lol.

Check all of your cable ends for corrosion behind where the lug is crimped on the cable. I've found them completely corroded apart while the heat shrink holds it together. My truck has 4 main grounding points.

1- under fuel filter on the block
2- at starter negative post
3- on outside of frame rail next to starter
4- at the driver side cab mount
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
02-27-2022, (Subject: Parked overnight now truck doesn’t start. ) 
Freightliner century class with Detroit 60 series in them used to have the exact problem of brittle power steering lines. It was the ground cable from the block to the frame would be bad of corroded. The next easiest path for the ground circuit became the steel braided power steering lines. So ya, cleanup and check all frame and cab connections.
replyreply
02-27-2022, (Subject: Parked overnight now truck doesn’t start. ) 
I found this ground going from the block to the starter.I disconnected it on both sides and peeled back the cover on it a little bit and the wire looked good.Did the same to the ones on the starter and they were good as well.Sanded the block side and the bolt and nut that hold the wire to the block.Attached is a pic of it.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.