Crankshaft tone wheel replacement
03-04-2022, (Subject: Crankshaft tone wheel replacement ) 
Crankshaft tone wheel replacement
Not!!! going to get into why this happened in the first place but I need to replace my crankshaft tone wheel on my truck as a few teeth are chipped off. Seen on quickserve the installation procedure which involves heating up the crankshaft adapter to 500 degrees in an oven. i have the means to install it but am wondering the means of taking it off?

Seen Rawze has mention in his video that a 50 ton shop press is needed. Maybe a big ass torch with a long while for heating up the adapter is all that is needed? I have not found much info on this is why I am asking. Maybe it will help others down the road.

Oh I had dropped the oil pan also after after front structure to make sure that Inhave all metal teeth and any bits. Which I do.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
RE: Crankshaft tone wheel replacement
There should be a procedure on quickserv somewhere to drill into it from the face using a certain size drill bit at a certain depth to "split" it and then it can be taken off without a press.

User's Signature: my wisdom is small. my heart is big. my love for trucking is somewhere in between.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873
(03-04-2022 )MageRoyal Wrote:  There should be a procedure on quickserv somewhere to drill into it from the face using a certain size drill bit at a certain depth to "split" it and then it can be taken off without a press.

I came across another post about this but have not found the procedure. Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction?

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
If you go to Allison's video from haggai they don't even put New tonewheels on they have a company come in and do it

Nut-n-but isx. On YouTube. Just truckin seems to have got her on the tubes for our benefit

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
(03-04-2022 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  
(03-04-2022 )MageRoyal Wrote:  There should be a procedure on quickserv somewhere to drill into it from the face using a certain size drill bit at a certain depth to "split" it and then it can be taken off without a press.

I came across another post about this but have not found the procedure. Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction?

https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...aft%20gear

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
06-10-2023, (Subject: Crankshaft tone wheel replacement ) 
Since I have a few beers in me I thought I would update this post.

I ended up fixing this and now have about 60,000 miles on it now. The job was actually easier than what I had anticipated. I used the drilling method (thanks rawze for that link) and the barbecue to heat up the tone wheel and adapter. I then took a rosebud torch and heated it up to get the adapter up a little higher than the 500 degree mark that cummins states. Both the tone wheel and adapter slipped right on with ease and I held it in place for a good minute or 5 it seemed! lol then I proceeded to put the rest of the front structure back together.

Just letting everybody know make sure to take out the 3/4 wrench when you are barring the motor over to help when adjusting the clutch! lol I bumped the starter to roll the motor over and it preceded to break apart the adapter that goes on the air compressor which in turn I "assumed" was ok after realizing what I have done. I went down road and the chunks proceeded to get caught in the gearing which proceeded to crack the front structure housing which dumped oil out 1 mile all down the road. I limped it back to the shop which I realized my stupid stupid stupid stupid mistake!!

I had to drop the oil pan and inspect bearings and oil pump along with all the gears in the front structure cleaning out all and any possible debris followed by a few quick oil changes. Camshaft and rockers are fine from what I have seen. Not sure what to expect after all this but it seems to be fine until I overhaul this motor in the very near future. Which will be a total overhaul. I guess I can call myself extremely lucky and an idiot at the same time. I was expecting the very worst.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Pd6cas2 , Andre_The_Giant

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Andre_The_Giant
Just an FYI I had done a front structure gasket job myself on this a few months prior to this happening. I used neverseiz for the new crankshaft dampener and motor mounts when putting it back together as you can see in the photos the gray paste.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Andre_The_Giant

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.