Crankshaft tone wheel replacement
06-10-2023, (Subject: Crankshaft tone wheel replacement ) 
RE: Crankshaft tone wheel replacement
Since I have a few beers in me I thought I would update this post.

I ended up fixing this and now have about 60,000 miles on it now. The job was actually easier than what I had anticipated. I used the drilling method (thanks rawze for that link) and the barbecue to heat up the tone wheel and adapter. I then took a rosebud torch and heated it up to get the adapter up a little higher than the 500 degree mark that cummins states. Both the tone wheel and adapter slipped right on with ease and I held it in place for a good minute or 5 it seemed! lol then I proceeded to put the rest of the front structure back together.

Just letting everybody know make sure to take out the 3/4 wrench when you are barring the motor over to help when adjusting the clutch! lol I bumped the starter to roll the motor over and it preceded to break apart the adapter that goes on the air compressor which in turn I "assumed" was ok after realizing what I have done. I went down road and the chunks proceeded to get caught in the gearing which proceeded to crack the front structure housing which dumped oil out 1 mile all down the road. I limped it back to the shop which I realized my stupid stupid stupid stupid mistake!!

I had to drop the oil pan and inspect bearings and oil pump along with all the gears in the front structure cleaning out all and any possible debris followed by a few quick oil changes. Camshaft and rockers are fine from what I have seen. Not sure what to expect after all this but it seems to be fine until I overhaul this motor in the very near future. Which will be a total overhaul. I guess I can call myself extremely lucky and an idiot at the same time. I was expecting the very worst.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crankshaft tone wheel replacement - Volvo8873 - 06-10-2023

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.