driveline on 2013 freightliner
03-07-2022, (Subject: driveline on 2013 freightliner ) 
RE: driveline on 2013 freightliner
(03-07-2022 )rooster53 Wrote:  ran fine, was parked overnight, pulled forward15 ft.sat for 10 minutes. backed up and heard a loud bang.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g28prmbwgj8r8...V4Vga?dl=0

That looks exactly like some complete moron forcing the truck to move in its lowest gear against frozen brake hubs. - Someone had to have felt the thing binding up before forcing it against it being locked up!. - This was a catastrophic failure.. sudden and all at once due to over-torquing of the drive-line .. someone did this! .. and it is not some "over time it wears out" type of failure.

if it was not the brakes frozen up and some idiot too stupid or lazy to do something about it.. but rather tried to force the truck to move when it did not want to.. then it was the rear diff pinion that is is out of adjustment (or has a chunk of metal in it) and is randomly locking up... which can easily be measured by checking its backlash tolerance, etc..

just my opinion.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-07-2022, (Subject: driveline on 2013 freightliner ) 
I have seen something similar but not that severe. The driver and truck I saw had just replaced only 4 of his drive tires and left the back 4 almost bald. Even when everybody told him bad stuff would happen. He made it around 2 corners and broke a U-joint.

You wouldn't have just bought half a set of tires did you?

User's Signature: I'm not arguing.... I just wanna know why
replyreply
03-08-2022, (Subject: driveline on 2013 freightliner ) 
(03-07-2022 )Papa_Buck Wrote:  I have seen something similar but not that severe. The driver and truck I saw had just replaced only 4 of his drive tires and left the back 4 almost bald. Even when everybody told him bad stuff would happen. He made it around 2 corners and broke a U-joint.

You wouldn't have just bought half a set of tires did you?

In your description you said "a" u joint. The OP snapped 3 and 1 yoke all at the same time. I'm still in awe that this could happen without on of the most violent driveline jarring events occurring. Someone has to be hiding one hell of a story of how 3 let loose simultaneously. Or there were 3 absolutely junk very brittle U joints installed. Something is very off with these u joints.

The fact that the exhaust and air tanks and air lines are all still intact and not completely wiped out from under the truck means this happened while stopped. So ya, junk cheap under rated u joints and a VERY violent attempt to get the truck moving is my guess.
replyreply
03-12-2022, (Subject: driveline on 2013 freightliner ) 
3 yikes, new driveshaft and u-joints, replaced tranny! 10k plus later, knock on wood, seems ok.
replyreply
03-12-2022, (Subject: driveline on 2013 freightliner ) 
Damn, thats insane! No warning before all this? No vibrations or anything out of the ordinary? What was the deal with the trans?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.