Switch to dual straight pipes
03-07-2022, (Subject: Switch to dual straight pipes ) 
Switch to dual straight pipes
I have a 2007 KW T600 areocab with a single exhaust with muffler that exits behind sleeper. My question tonight is about exhaust. My fault codes that show on my Keep Trucking ELD are always the same. Something about EGR cooler (which is unplugged) and excessive exhaust pressure. I want to change the single exhaust with a muffler, to dual 6 inch straight pipes that exit behind sleeper. Is that a wise move? And will that cause the computer to need changes?
replyreply
RE: Switch to dual straight pipes
it being a 2007.. is this a CM871?... if so then ...

First of all, your post implies that your truck is de-mandated(deleted).. if that is the case then the programming should be looked at first if you give a damn at all about that engine. bad de-mandate programming is a plague and will destroy your engine over time. it is nothing to take lightly at all. pull a copy of the program out of it and sent it to me for a review. You also should NOT be getting egr codes if it has been properly de-mandated.

if it is in fact de-mandated then ...
NEXT>... if the exhaust system was properly dealt with (gutted completely) then you should not have any exhaust restrictions that would warrant any sort of exhaust modifications at all either. Not even if it had 600+ HP on the engine. This means that again, your post implies that someone may not have done a proper job of hollowing everything out 100% to the bare metal and now the whole exhaust system is restricted. The exhaust piping is more than adequate for that model truck to handle 600+ HP. It is NOT restrictive at all. There should be no difference in power or performance on the engine with the exhaust connected on that model truck, even at 600+ HP .. or with it disconnected off the back of the turbo, especially if it has been properly DE-mandated and the canisters correctly hollowed out.

Your whole post smells heavily like a complete s%it job, engine killing delete that was done half-arssed to me... and now your trying to band-aide problems that someone else created.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Like Rawze said
Pull a copy of that tune
Active codes on the egr and or any atd after a DM is a true indication its probably a crap tune
replyreply
I apologise if I wasn`t clear. I bought this truck last spring, but didn`t put it on the road until the first of Sept. The engine has never been deleted (yet). The only thing is the EGR cooler was unplugged when I bought it and still is. I had an overhead done before putting it on the road. I replaced several items on the truck that needed attention. My plan was, and is, to put a few thousand miles on it to get an idea of the overall condition. I`ve put forty thousand miles on it since last sept. I`ve pretty much stayed home the last month or so as I do not feel like driving in snowy, icy, weather. I have changed the oil three times, at 10,237, 22,765, and 15,486. the truck has 740, 812 miles at this time. The engine has not used a drop of oil between changes. It shows full right before I had it changed. I`ve been driving right at 64 miles an hour most of the time about 1450 rpm. I`ve slowed down with the fuel prices to 62 miles an hour at 1400 rpm. the truck consistently gets between seven and a half and eight miles to the gallon pulling light loads depending on the wind and geography. I do mostly Amazon loads that are either empties or very light loads. I do tow away as well. Engine wise, I have had the overhead done, the belt tensioners and belt replaced simply because of their being original and a tip from a poster on here. I had the water pump replace because it would leak coolant after sitting all night in single temps no other time but then. I fully plan on having a proper delete done come spring. My question about the pipes was not prompted by the excessive exhaust pressure reading, rather than I just want it for looks. The oil samples I sent to the Caterpillar lab here show 0 soot levels. I think the motor is in good shape and all it should need is a proper delete at a competent shop. I dont know how to download a file to send to Rawze. Perhaps a tip to pass on to my local shop would help. I do not use the truck to make a living, I`m 76 years old and have other income that pays my bills, so the truck is in some sense a hobby that makes money. But I`m one of those guys that not only wants a good running truck, but a good looking one as well.
replyreply
(03-07-2022 )JimmyDw8xb Wrote:  ...
The engine has never been deleted (yet).
the EGR cooler was unplugged when I bought it and still is

first of all, this set of statements makes absolutely no sense. The EGR cooler does not have any wiring to "unplug" from it. It cools exhaust gasses and it is not an electrical device. .. -- and if it has been defeated in any way.. then the engine will have check engine lights on in the dash and it will derate on you. Because if it does not have any faults for something with the emissions systems unplugged/defeated, then it has a "delete" program in it.

maybe some pics of what you are referring to?.. because if someone has actually messed with the egr cooler itself.. rending it unable to transfer EGR gasses into the intake .. then YES!-- -IT IS a DELETED ENGINE!.

make your mind up.. be more specific.. because what you have said so far makes very little to no sense with that statement. It begs the question of what are you calling the "egr cooler"?.. maybe some pics of what your saying is "unplugged?"... is it the egr Valve?.. and if it is the EGR valve that is actually unplugged.. is there a fault code in the dash for it? and the check engine light is on?... and what fault code would that be?.

also, it being a 2007.. is this a CM871?... or maybe its a CM870 engine(some 2007 trucks were)?. If not sure then post the engine ser#, a pic of the data-plate, or something so that we know what engine you are referring to.

as far as exhaust pressure alarms...
Also, has anyone bothered to ensure the exhaust back-pressure and other engine sensors have been replaced?... and the circuit thru the thermostat housing for the exhaust pressure sensor is not clogged up?.. they tend to do that after the engine gets a lot of age on it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
It's common fallacy that some think unplugging the egr valve "deletes" it. Now they think they have saved their engine from the soot monster. Unfortunately it's false...much like that stupid plug in module that makes your engine run in high altitude mode.

You're killing your engine...that unplugged egr valve is/has done more harm than good.
replyreply
(03-07-2022 )Wildcard Wrote:  It's common fallacy that some think unplugging the egr valve "deletes" it. Now they think they have saved their engine from the soot monster. Unfortunately it's false...much like that stupid plug in module that makes your engine run in high altitude mode.

You're killing your engine...that unplugged egr valve is/has done more harm than good.

Actually, if it is a CM870 engine?. (and not a CM871 or newer).. the first post was not clear on this ... then unplugging the egr valve simply makes a derate for 10% power and limits boost. I have seen people run their CM870's like this for a million+ miles without issues, except to complain about turbo problems more often that they should. Other than the turbo running hotter than it should all the time, and boost only getting to about 32 psi or so (Spiking temporarily to about 36 then falling on its face again, due to the derate).. and therefore shortening the life of the turbo by about 1/3. - It is not the best thing in the world for a CM870 to be run like that, and you get check engine lights on all the time, but it is a far safer solution than someone's hack-job bad delete program being put in it.

replyreply
The engine is a CM 870. The truck is sitting outside as I type covered in a layer of snow, so No pics tonight. I realize I used the wrong terminology about the EGR cooler. Yes, it is the EGR valve I believe that is unplugged. I fully realize that it does not constitute a delete. Again, come spring, I`ll get a proper delete. I don`t know about a power reduction because of it. I don`t think I`ve ever pulled thirty pounds of boost. Most of the time at 64 mph with a very light trailer it only pulls between ten and fifteen pounds and when first starting up a hill it may go to twenty or a hair more.
I will have my shop check the sensors regarding the exhaust pressure. the truck seems to have plenty of power, but with light loads a power loss might not be all that noticeable. I come here because I realize I am not highly knowledgeable about this engine and truck, so would like advice to make me a better operator, and help me make better decisions about operations and equipment. The first owner of the truck was local small dry box operation that runs in the midwest region and hauled light loads to clothing stores. They have a good reputation for a well maintained fleet. They put approx 650,000 miles on it and sold it to a local grain farmer who only put on 40,000 miles in eight years only running it in spring and fall. He lost the maintenance records that came with truck. He said, and I believe him, that they serviced it once a year. the oil was clean looking when I bought it and changed the oil. I have not added a drop of oil between changes in 40,000 miles and it neither leaks or burns any oil. As I said previously, the oil is always on the full mark when I check it in the mornings. I`ve gained a lot of faith in the quality of the truck and now am ready to spend the money for the things I want done. A good delete is at the top of the list. But I would like the dual pipes, just cause I like the look. A recommendation of a good shop would be helpful. I have a good shop locally, but they do not do all I need done. Thanks for reading.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.