ISX15 CM2250
03-10-2022, (Subject: ISX15 CM2250 ) 
ISX15 CM2250
Long time reader. First time poster:
Story time.
Customer asked me to look at ISX15 CM2250 for him.
He bought it from southeast somewhere not too long ago, only got about 1500 miles on it before having serious drivability issues with it. Truck was demandated by seller prior to buying the truck.
I mainly do John Deere/ Cat equipment, but am proficient in engines diagnostics/repairs. But took on the work. I am second person to work on this.

The truck had VGT code 2387, Fuel code 0559. Was immediately concerned with 0559 code.
And also truck needs cam/rocker replaced, #5 exhaust lobe is worn.
Previous shop replaced injector 1 and 3 with cummins oem injectors.

1. So far, I removed fuel pump head and inspected it, has original ceramic plungers, they were in good shape, what a relief that was to see :), after reading all the horror stories online. Installed updated OEM fuel pump head (steel plungers) and tapper/followers.

2. Engine starts and runs. #5 has slight knock that goes away when cylinder is cutout.

3. Solo cylinder cutout test: Engine will run on each cylinder by itself with no significant difference noticed between the 6.

4. Rail pressure hold test: Rail will drop to zero has soon as key is shut off.

5. I removed return line off rail relief, capped the line, left rail relief open, started truck, relief drips constantly, worse when rail pressure is higher. New relief is ordered but do not have yet.

6. I very much question the demandate and shoddy exhaust work on this thing so wanted to pull ECM data. I have Insite 8.7, and Calterm 5.3, I'm familiar with Insite from my years working at Case Dealer. I have zero experience with Calterm and wasn't able to pull the ECM data to get it checked out.
If someone could help me with that part that would be great.

So that brings us up to date. Plan from here is.
Get ECM data pulled and forwarded to get checked out.
Get new relief installed.
Get fuel system tests - passed.
Once confident the fuel system is up to snuff will go on to replacing camshaft and rollers.
After that checking Turbo actuator for play/wear.
Checking exhaust was done properly for demandate.
Plan on doing 6 dime mod, and maintenance free breather filter

If there is anything i'm missing in my diagnostics steps or plans let me know.
Mainly looking for help right now to get data pulled from the ECM.

Thank You, What an awesome community and wealth of information you all have been!
replyreply
03-11-2022, (Subject: ISX15 CM2250 ) 
RE: ISX15 CM2250
There are some good step-by-step videos running around that show how to copy the ecm file in/out.. they are for Calterm 3.17 (from 2017, which is far superior for most operations than the newer 5.3 is) so some differences may apply if your trying to do it with the more convoluted 5.3 version.

Get the program copied out and e-mail it to me. I will review it for ya. In the mean time, I PM'd you my number if ya have any other some questions/concerns...etc.

As far as digging into the depths of programming itself ..and learning about it etc. .. my mumble server is the place for that.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...63#pid2163

==============

as far as the rail leakage.. Do a rail pressure test.. get it to 29k psi... and then measure how much pressure falls off in 1 minute. it should leak no more than 4,000 psi in one minute. If it does then something is bad somewhere.

You said that some injector were replaced recently. It could very well be that some complete idiot who does not know how to use a proper torque wrench, did not properly torque the new (they should have also been replaced) injector feed tubes. - Before resorting to replacing injectors.. re-torque all the feed-tubes a second time and do the tests again. It may be something as dumb as that.

here is a video on how to do the leak-test....
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid69262

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.