Help with swapping a ISX 871 to a ISX 2250 or 2350.
03-11-2022, (Subject: Help with swapping a ISX 871 to a ISX 2250 or 2350. ) 
Help with swapping a ISX 871 to a ISX 2250 or 2350.
Hi I have a customer who 871 spung main bearings. He currently want to install a 2250 or 2350
In his 386 pete 2010… mechanical wise I can get it install and also wiring .. I just want some advice on wiring it correctly .
replyreply
RE: Help with swapping a ISX 871 to a ISX 2250 or 2350.
I hope you also do know that it is just as illegal as deleting it, to put a newer model engine with different emissions standards in that truck cannot pass an emissions test after you do this... UNLESS YOU ALSO INSTALL ALL OF THE CM2350's emissions systems to go with that engine. It can then be registered as a "glider".

I don't care about the emissions part of it either way.. but your customer needs to be FULLY AWARE OF THIS because they might not be able to sell the truck or trade it in in the future unless it is put back right... or if they go into the communist states.. they could incur heave fines upon failing an inspection.

YOUR CUSTOMER NEEDS TO BE AWARE OF THESE THINGS.. AND AS A SHOP YOU NEED TO VERY HEAVILY CONSIDER IT TOO, as the first place the truck owner is going to mention if they get fined ... WILL BE YOU!.

Like I said.. I don't personally care about the emissions part of it either way .. but it would be seriously unethical to do such a thing and your customer and not have a serious talk about it.. because it is no less of a problem than if you had "deleted it" and not telling them about it.

(with that first part out of the way)...

As far as the wiring goes.. you can find the ecm wiring on quickserv.com for both engines. it is also likely you will need the wiring diagram of the truck too. After that, you will need to look inside the old ecm programming and determine what addresses the truck has for all of its communications.. and set them as well. this means that I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you make a complete back up the ecm program out of the old ecm, using Calterm software, BEFORE YOU GET TOO CARRIED AWAY.. as some settings that will be needed will not likely be seen in Insite alone.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: UnitedDiesel340 , DieselKid
(03-11-2022 )UnitedDiesel340 Wrote:  Hi I have a customer who 871 spung main bearings. He currently want to install a 2250 or 2350
In his 386 pete 2010… mechanical wise I can get it install and also wiring .. I just want some advice on wiring it correctly .

(personal opinion)...
I have no idea why anyone would want to remove the best model ISX engine ever built (the CM871).. and replace it with something far more inferior ... and also that has higher operating and maintenance costs. This in my opinion is a bad move.. like jumping over a dollar to save a dime... even if it did save some moneys up front.. it will be much more costly in the end for the truck owner to do such a thing.

I am not being a nay-sayer.. but rather just pointing out the reality of what your about to do to this persons truck. BOTH you and them would be responsible for such a debacle!. Someone gotta be some kinda fool somewhere, to so easily let such a thing happen without some real deep considerations that are far beyond trying to save some moneys, or because they might have a spare engine laying around.

SELL THE NEWER ENGINE .. PUT THE MONEYS TOWARDS A REPLACEMENT CM871!. that would be my official advice on this.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: UnitedDiesel340
Thank you for the feed back.. we located in the BVI.. the US laws dnt apply down here.
Meaning you can do anything you want with the truck. As long as it safe to drive they don’t worry.
I totally understand and I also agree with you.. I rather the Cummins 870-871 over any other Isx.
I think those work the best in my opinion… I will try to convince the customer to stick with the 871. But was also just looking knowledge on those kind of swap if I actually got a chance to do one.
replyreply
(03-11-2022 )UnitedDiesel340 Wrote:  Thank you for the feed back.. we located in the BVI.. the US laws dnt apply down here.
Meaning you can do anything you want with the truck. As long as it safe to drive they don’t worry.
I totally understand and I also agree with you.. I rather the Cummins 870-871 over any other Isx.
I think those work the best in my opinion… I will try to convince the customer to stick with the 871. But was also just looking knowledge on those kind of swap if I actually got a chance to do one.

That is good to know. I try to keep the forum towards making wise choices and most of the people on here are in the states... so those kind of statement that I make are geared as such for the most part. Also it is because a lot of people, mostly truck owners, will read this kind of info (that are here in the usa), will see it, and learn that it is not so easy to just swap engines around in a truck without heavy considerations. This is so that someone can make wise choices.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: UnitedDiesel340
Yeah I am a Cummins 871 lover . I truest love that engine.. I try explain to the customer but I told him what u advice so we putting back in a 871… thanks again for the feed back
replyreply
(03-11-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  That is good to know. I try to keep the forum towards making wise choices and most of the people on here are in the states... so those kind of statement that I make are geared as such for the most part. Also it is because a lot of people, mostly truck owners, will read this kind of info (that are here in the usa), will see it, and learn that it is not so easy to just swap engines around in a truck without heavy considerations. This is so that someone can make wise choices.

Yeah I truely appreciate it. I used to live miami florida working for freightliner as there Cummins tech in the shop. But I open my own shop down in the islands . A lot of guys down here runs 870-871… I read your advice on the cams.. I swap a lot down here .. but will also follow your guide line on preventing…
replyreply
(03-11-2022 )UnitedDiesel340 Wrote:  
(03-11-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  That is good to know. I try to keep the forum towards making wise choices and most of the people on here are in the states... so those kind of statement that I make are geared as such for the most part. Also it is because a lot of people, mostly truck owners, will read this kind of info (that are here in the usa), will see it, and learn that it is not so easy to just swap engines around in a truck without heavy considerations. This is so that someone can make wise choices.

Yeah I truely appreciate it. I used to live miami florida working for freightliner as there Cummins tech in the shop. But I open my own shop down in the islands . A lot of guys down here runs 870-871… I read your advice on the cams.. I swap a lot down here .. but will also follow your guide line on preventing…

biggest cam wipe problems can be prevented by ensuring there is never any crank case pressure buildup in the engine (using maintenance free cc filter or removing the filter all together) .. and to do overhead valve adjustments every 2 years or so.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.