retrofit VGT to Cummins N14
03-13-2022, (Subject: retrofit VGT to Cummins N14 ) 
retrofit VGT to Cummins N14
Hello Rawze, You seem to have a great detailed understanding of the operation of modern diesel engines and associated controls. Ive been wanting to ask this question of you for a while and finally got around to it.
Do you think it would be worthwhile and/or possible to retrofit a VGT to a Cummins N14? I know a bit about electronics, but I really don't know exactly what all signals and sensor inputs, (and or software) that would be needed to control a VGT and calibrate it to a particular engine. I was wondering if you think it would be possible to create a rudimentary VGT control system using RPM, boost pressure, or any other inputs needed to provide a usable VGT system that would increase the engine efficiency enough to even make the endeavor worthwhile? lets say from 6mpg to 7.5 or 8. I welcome your thoughts.
replyreply
RE: retrofit VGT to Cummins N14
You maybe better off getting a waste gated turbo and setting up the screw on the diaphragm until you reach target boost. Cheaper than a VG and doesn't have the headaches trying to get one to work properly without an arduino board and extra wiring.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
that is a lot of research and investment on an enigne that is not worth owning much any more. It is not about fuel efficiency.. but about the fact that you can;t keep injectors and other parts in them.. because no one makes the components any more and all the re-manned to death parts still out there do not last very long.

my advice.. if ya got a running N14.. sell it to some nostalgic fool with an antique truck.. and go buy something with a CM871 in it if ya want to own the most profitable version of the ISX.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-14-2022, (Subject: retrofit VGT to Cummins N14 ) 
How long till our 871 injectors have been remaned too much?.I doubt you can even buy NX injectors unless you find NOS.
replyreply
(03-14-2022 )Nilao Wrote:  How long till our 871 injectors have been remaned too much?.I doubt you can even buy NX injectors unless you find NOS.

Some still can be found new. I wanted to go new but 6 px's cost $5100 vs close to $9k for new ones. Cummins is/was still manufacturing CM-570's for export.
replyreply
(03-14-2022 )Nilao Wrote:  How long till our 871 injectors have been remaned too much?.I doubt you can even buy NX injectors unless you find NOS.

At some point this will be the case for the CM870, 570, 871's too.. but that is a long way off for now. Many of the components (like injectors etc.) are still being manufactured and put into the mix and sold as NX (the re-man prefix on a part), but they are actually new components. For now, it is just like the heads. You can often get brand new ones that have been thrown into the mix when ordering NX parts. - This is not the case any more with the N14 components.

The biggest issue that i have seen people have is with the N14 injectors. You'd be lucky to get a set that last a couple few years before needing replacing again at this point before they get leaky and start to give problems. - That has been the issue for several years on them now, as manufacturing of new injectors stopped several years ago, so essentially, the bulk of N14 trucks running around out there end up replacing them (if they want an efficient, good running engine) every few years with more remanned to death components.

My point was not so much that someone can invent a control box to put a VG on one .. but more-so to consider ... why should they invest into the research and time for inventing a control box on a professional level?. Sure, someone could do it .. maybe as a weekend or passion project for their own truck.. but it would not solve the fact that the engine has seen its better years at this point... and for most people.. it is time to move on instead of hanging onto something that is not going to be as reliable as something that you can still get parts for that are not remanned to death yet... which is also however already more fuel efficient, etc.. because it already has a VG on it from factory. I.E.> seems to me that for most people, there would be no need to re-invent the wheel.

(the beer is talkin.. just saying).

=========

As far as actually making a control box... (the original question above) the VG can be commanded to operate correctly for just about any brand/make of engine via rpm and fuel pedal requests as inputs. Nothing more would be needed. Making it more complex than this would not gain any benefits.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: t700
(03-13-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  my advice.. if ya got a running N14.. sell it to some nostalgic fool with an antique truck..

I resemble that remark..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , tree98 , 03maxpower

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.