Cm870 feels like it lacks power
03-17-2022, (Subject: Cm870 feels like it lacks power ) 
Cm870 feels like it lacks power
Truck is a 2003 International 9900i with a 2004 CM870 530hp that still has the EGR intact
Fuel filters have 9,000 miles on them and air filters about 1500 miles.Feels like it’s lacking power.Any suggestions on things I can look for that can be causing this.?
replyreply
03-18-2022, (Subject: Cm870 feels like it lacks power ) 
RE: Cm870 feels like it lacks power
There's about a million things that could cause "low power" maybe start by doing an egr tuneup, setting overhead (inspecting all the components real good for wear while your in there ) bubble test the injectors, do a cylinder cut out test to see if its firing on all 6, Pressurize the entire engine and look for boost leaks.

How many miles are on it?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Redland1
03-18-2022, (Subject: Cm870 feels like it lacks power ) 
Also, how much boost does it make in a hard pull?.. and how many mg/stroke of fuel flow does Insite say that it is giving it?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
03-19-2022, (Subject: Cm870 feels like it lacks power ) 
(03-18-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  There's about a million things that could cause "low power" maybe start by doing an egr tuneup, setting overhead (inspecting all the components real good for wear while your in there ) bubble test the injectors, do a cylinder cut out test to see if its firing on all 6, Pressurize the entire engine and look for boost leaks.

How many miles are on it?

I did an EGR tuneup last year.How often should it be done? Also did the overhead last year as well.Cutout test was done yesterday and what I did was shut off only one cylinder at a time and saw that each time that I turned one off there was a noticeable change.
replyreply
(03-18-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  Also, how much boost does it make in a hard pull?.. and how many mg/stroke of fuel flow does Insite say that it is giving it?.

Do I check the mg of fuel at idle?
replyreply
(03-19-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  
(03-18-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  Also, how much boost does it make in a hard pull?.. and how many mg/stroke of fuel flow does Insite say that it is giving it?.

you say "it feels weak".. not at idle... when its pulling at 100% throttle and your climbing a hill

... and when "its feeling weak"...

How much boost does it get up to in a sustained 100% throttle pull up a long hill?

How many mg/stroke does Insite say it is giving it while it is doing this as well?.

What are the specs of the engine?.. Power/torque, etc?.

Without answering those basic questions.. you are going to get nowhere with statements like "it feels weak", because you have no idea if it IS ACTUALLY TRYING TO MAKE ITS INTENDED POWER/TORQUE!.

A). After that, if it is actually giving it the proper boost and fueling quantities ... Then it is time to put it on a dyno to see if it matches.... and stop guessing at it.

or..

B).If it is NOT giving it the proper quantities of fuel and air... then you need to troubleshoot WHY it is not doing so.

it is not rocket science.. but you can guess at problems like this until your blu in the face.. and it would be no less than trying to guess the weight of a cow and having no intention of ever putting it on a scale to find out.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(03-19-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-19-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  

you say "it feels weak".. not at idle... when its pulling at 100% throttle and your climbing a hill

... and when "its feeling weak"...

How much boost does it get up to in a sustained 100% throttle pull up a long hill?

How many mg/stroke does Insite say it is giving it while it is doing this as well?.

What are the specs of the engine?.. Power/torque, etc?.

Without answering those basic questions.. you are going to get nowhere with statements like "it feels weak", because you have no idea if it IS ACTUALLY TRYING TO MAKE ITS INTENDED POWER/TORQUE!.

A). After that, if it is actually giving it the proper boost and fueling quantities ... Then it is time to put it on a dyno to see if it matches.... and stop guessing at it.

or..

B).If it is NOT giving it the proper quantities of fuel and air... then you need to troubleshoot WHY it is not doing so.

it is not rocket science.. but you can guess at problems like this until your blu in the face.. and it would be no less than trying to guess the weight of a cow and having no intention of ever putting it on a scale to find out.

The cow analogy made me laugh.I’ll report back as soon as I have those numbers.For now all I have is that it’s a factory 530HP.
replyreply
03-22-2022, (Subject: Cm870 feels like it lacks power ) 
38 psi according to my Glowshift boost gauge when I’m loaded at 86,000lbs and the hammer down.
replyreply
03-23-2022, (Subject: Cm870 feels like it lacks power ) 
(03-22-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  38 psi according to my Glowshift boost gauge when I’m loaded at 86,000lbs and the hammer down.

and how much fuel flow does Insite say it is giving it when it is doing this?

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.