2016 cuminns isx15 over pressure in overflow
03-25-2022, (Subject: 2016 cuminns isx15 over pressure in overflow ) 
Video 2016 cuminns isx15 over pressure in overflow
Have a 2016 int. Lonestar w/isx15, 741250 miles on it. I replaced overflow bottle about 5/6 months ago last week I noticed it was leaking from the side of it ,I noticed it had stress cracks down the side so I sealed them until my new bottle came in, installed the new bottle and cap left that afternoon and about 180 miles my low coolant light came on, never went over 210° before fan came on, I pulled over opened hood and coolant was all over from fron of truck to back of trailer everything soaked and bottle was empty also it pushed of upper hose from reservoir to radiator that tells me that it over pressurized I filled it took 4.5 gallons drove another 100 miles and rechecked it it was half low refilled again but this time left the cap alittle loose and everything was fine barely any gone, got it back home and checked it the cap was gone and was about an inch low, I was reading up on here about it, and I seen to try the bubbles in water, well I had it running for about an hour and a half at 1400rpms and idle and not one bubble, coolant did rise about an inch. Gauge stayed normal. Any ideas to help figure this out.
replyreply
RE: 2016 cuminns isx15 over pressure in overflow
Either the air compressor head gasket went bad and is allowing compressed air to enter the cooling system, or the more likely scenario is that you dropped a liner. Pressurize your cooling system to 20 psi overnight, then drop the pan and look for coolant. Most likely around the area of the #5,#6 cylinder.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
wouldn't both of them cause bubbles thru the reservoir bottle witch I have none even at 1400rpms.
replyreply
thank you for responding tree98 I will try that, but confused about no bubbles thru overflow, also going to do a combustion test to see what happens.
replyreply
Might only do it under a load, not just sitting there running.You could try a block test kit, but they aren't always accurate.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(03-25-2022 )702autotech Wrote:  wouldn't both of them cause bubbles thru the reservoir bottle witch I have none even at 1400rpms.

looking for bubbles in the coolant tank is mostly pointless. Dropped liner and head gasket issues usually almost always only show up when under an engine load unless they are really severe. Your description in your first post points towards maybe a dropped liner on that engine .. or maybe just a bad or improperly clamped hose after replacing the tank?.

The relief cap in the overflow tank will relieve any pressure greater than 15 psi.. and if it is a new one, you say you replaced the tank, they usually come with a new relief cap, then it should be doing its job to prevent more than 15-psi in the system.

As tree98 said ... and given the engine age, its likely time to drop the oil pan and pressurize the coolant system to 20 psi over night and look for seepage into one of the cylinders the next day.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid25356

A dropped liner (which is always the cause of a head gasket failure) is a likely scenario if it is not simply a rotten/old hose or that "someone did not install a hose correctly" after replacing the tank.

If you end up dropping the oil pan to check it out ... even if you find out that this is not your problem .. then it would be a good opportunity to also replace the rod/main bearings.. as they are due by the 800k mileage mark any ways.

Just my thoughts on it.

Also, is this truck also de-mandated? (deleted)? .. if so then the delete program in it has a more than 90+% chance that can contributed heavily towards a dropped liner (head gasket) scenario.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
You will never see bubbles in the header tank because the bleed line from the engine comes in above the water level to clear trapped air from the system.

You carry out the bubble test by running the bleed hose (small hose coming from the thermostat housing usually) into a bottle of water and run the truck for a minute with the water pump belt removed.

Also: Your posts suggests you might have nothing wrong with your engine at all. A blown hose doesn't always indicate anything more than a failed hose or clamp.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
thanks everyone for the advise im trying everything that you suggested but it takes awhile. I didn't watch for bubbles in the reservoir I ran a hose from the pressure test cap into a bottle of water and let it warm up and then ran it at 1400rpm and nothing, and the small hose from where the thermostat is just pours coolant out when disconnected but the one that is above the coolant goes to the top of the radiator i pinched off., I also did a block test on it and never changed color, I took off the line from the compressor to the filter and it was dry.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
03-26-2022, (Subject: 2016 cuminns isx15 over pressure in overflow ) 
(03-25-2022 )702autotech Wrote:  thanks everyone for the advise im trying everything that you suggested but it takes awhile. I didn't watch for bubbles in the reservoir I ran a hose from the pressure test cap into a bottle of water and let it warm up and then ran it at 1400rpm and nothing, and the small hose from where the thermostat is just pours coolant out when disconnected but the one that is above the coolant goes to the top of the radiator i pinched off., I also did a block test on it and never changed color, I took off the line from the compressor to the filter and it was dry.

I put little to no faith in that block test kits.

I have had people here clearly with blown head gaskets .. really bad, blown head gaskets.. and that damn liquid never change color.

I have also had people over and put that test kit in trucks that had absolutely no issues whatsoever and seen the stuff turn green.

I have never had any real luck with consistency with those test kits every time I have tried to use them in the past myself, so I tend not to trust them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DVT873 , Nostalgic

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.