Coolant Surge Tank
04-02-2022, (Subject: Coolant Surge Tank ) 
Coolant Surge Tank
Truck: 2014 Pete 388

I figured out that I had a bad magnetic float in my surge tank. The new sensor reacted properly while using a magnet to test it, so I bought a new tank, see image. And here’s my issue.

Whenever I put coolant into my old tank it would fill evenly across the tank, even that area on the right side of this image. With this tank it’s not doing that. This image is 2 days old and it has somewhat evened out the level across the tank but it’s still not exactly level. Directly under the fill port and that area where the sensor is located is higher in the tank than that area on the right.

Has anyone experienced this issue?
What are your thoughts?

I get a feeling that maybe there’s a problem with this tank, but maybe it’s just my panic mode. Ive got loads I need to move but Im half way scared to get on the road with this tank.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Coolant Surge Tank
Common logic says, put more coolant in it to bring the level even across the tank. I've done and done that and it will only accept coolant up the the neck of the fill port, I can't force it into the right section of that tank.

As I said, it has evened out more so into that right side over the past few days, but it still will not simply come up as my old one did when adding coolant.
replyreply
@kozakvod What brand of tank is is this? Pete and KW sell their TRP aftermarket brand which has known issues of being faulty. Coolant doesn't flow correctly through the galleries and and can even make it seem like the system is over pressurizing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
(04-02-2022 )DieselKid Wrote:  @kozakvod What brand of tank is is this? Pete and KW sell their TRP aftermarket brand which has known issues of being faulty. Coolant doesn't flow correctly through the galleries and and can even make it seem like the system is over pressurizing.

Honestly Im not sure the brand. I bought it off Amazon. Said it was OEM but this just seems off to me. I looked elsewhere for a tank because peterbilt wanted $550 for a new one and that just seemed stupid to me.
replyreply
I know it's crazy that the OEM one from Pete is so expensive. Automann makes a decent aftermarket one but I always use OEM pressure cap and fill cap. I've noticed that the threads on the aftermarket ones are janky and destroy the tank. Honestly you get your money's worth for the $550 though. Some of those cheaper ones just aren't worth headache imo
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , kozakvod
04-03-2022, (Subject: Coolant Surge Tank ) 
(04-02-2022 )DieselKid Wrote:  I know it's crazy that the OEM one from Pete is so expensive. Automann makes a decent aftermarket one but I always use OEM pressure cap and fill cap. I've noticed that the threads on the aftermarket ones are janky and destroy the tank. Honestly you get your money's worth for the $550 though. Some of those cheaper ones just aren't worth headache imo

Even more sad. I went by there today, price is $590 now.
replyreply
(04-03-2022 )kozakvod Wrote:  ...
Even more sad. I went by there today, price is $590 now.

Then wait till someone else is working the counter.. and go in like its your first time .. and when they quote that price to you then tell em that you have already priced it 2 weeks ago for (in your case), a quote of $476 somewhere else... and that I am leased onto (some big-fleet name) and I usually get their discounts. It almost always works whenever I do this at the stealers$hits parts counters.

I made the 476 number up.. but it sounds reasonable for a discount .. lol. Nonetheless, almost always, they lower the price by quite a bit.

Those people that work those counters work on commission most of the time and they would rather discount you something than to loose the sale all together.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
Ive put on a dozen of the paccar T1673009 in the last year and zero warranty issues with them. I believe the old number is T1673008. I had a few bad level sensors in the TRP one a couple years back, havent used one since. Not condoning the use of T1673009, but my experience since I switched to it from the trp has been good. I always order by part number, they seem to box up just about anything in TRP boxes!
replyreply
(04-02-2022 )kozakvod Wrote:  Common logic says, put more coolant in it to bring the level even across the tank. I've done and done that and it will only accept coolant up the the neck of the fill port, I can't force it into the right section of that tank.

As I said, it has evened out more so into that right side over the past few days, but it still will not simply come up as my old one did when adding coolant.

thats an odd picture you posted, in those reserviors the left rear quadrant ( where the pressure relief cap is) is the surge tank area and the other 3 quadrants ( Left front/right front/right rear-where the fill neck is are the reservior area. during normal engine operating the reservior area stays full and very little coolant will expand over into the surge tank area.After the engine cools it sucks that coolant back out of the surge area and into the reservior area. Your picture shows something else entirely. I suggest you check out that reservior closely as you refill it. check the seal on the pressure relief cap .
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.