CM871: Is it safe to run truck without a crankcase pressure sensor?
04-05-2022, (Subject: CM871: Is it safe to run truck without a crankcase pressure sensor? ) 
CM871: Is it safe to run truck without a crankcase pressure sensor?
While OTR I got a fault code saying the crankcase pressure voltage is less than normal. Upon inspection, I found a frayed wire in the harness near the Crankcase Pressure Sensor. I called Cummins and was told I would have to buy a complete harness. The damage is too close to the connector, I can’t splice it back together without removing the pin. Would it be safe to run the truck without that sensor until I get home and can repair it?

replyreply
04-05-2022, (Subject: CM871: Is it safe to run truck without a crankcase pressure sensor? ) 
RE: CM871: Is it safe to run truck without a crankcase pressure sensor?
You can buy replacement pins with heat shrink crimp connectors on the end and the connector housing if you need one. Total cost +/- $5, also get an plug pin remover kit very useful for rewiring or repining connectors..
Edit:
Replacement connector with new pins installed with heat shrink connectors
Part #5299153
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Moose
(04-05-2022 )marek4792 Wrote:  You can buy replacement pins with heat shrink crimp connectors on the end and the connector housing if you need one. Total cost +/- $5, also get an plug pin remover kit very useful for rewiring or repining connectors..
Edit:
Replacement connector with new pins installed with heat shrink connectors
Part #5299153

Awesome, Thanks! Would you happen to know of a good kit I can purchase to keep in the truck for next time?
replyreply
Bought this one awhile back.
Amazon Electrical Connector Pin Removal Kit
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RMezaJr
04-06-2022, (Subject: CM871: Is it safe to run truck without a crankcase pressure sensor? ) 
By the way ...

That crank case filter system is nothing but a euro-5 (emissions system) menace to the ISX engine and it provides ZERO protections for the engine. It is also known to contribute greatly towards premature cam failures and turbocharger problems as the engine gets older and the filter does not properly keep up with crank case fume volume any more. that or if someone does not change its over-priced rip-off of a filter often enough, it causes these types of enigne damage too.

So to just to answer your question in the title ... it is perfectly safe to run the engine without the crank case filter, and therefore the sensor, as long as you have installed a maintenence-free crank case filter from cummins, or if you have permanently bypassed the paper filter in some other way.

maint free filter: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...50#pid8950

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-09-2022, (Subject: CM871: Is it safe to run truck without a crankcase pressure sensor? ) 
(04-06-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  By the way ...

That crank case filter system is nothing but a euro-5 (emissions system) menace to the ISX engine and it provides ZERO protections for the engine. It is also known to contribute greatly towards premature cam failures and turbocharger problems as the engine gets older and the filter does not properly keep up with crank case fume volume any more. that or if someone does not change its over-priced rip-off of a filter often enough, it causes these types of enigne damage too.

So to just to answer your question in the title ... it is perfectly safe to run the engine without the crank case filter, and therefore the sensor, as long as you have installed a maintenence-free crank case filter from cummins, or if you have permanently bypassed the paper filter in some other way.

maint free filter: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...50#pid8950

I have the maintenance free filter. Was just making sure the sensor wasn't required or perhaps sent important data do the ECM or something of that nature. Thanks again, I will still fix it since that check engine light is annoying.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.