Block cutting
04-16-2022, (Subject: Block cutting ) 
RE: Block cutting
I had no idea that the ISX maximum specs had changed. I even checked on Quickserve and you're right. I cut quite a few ISXs and always aim for 14.

In fact, the current model ISX in Australia has a bad habit of breaking liner shims and Cummins have a bulletin out (I can't find it). The bulletin directs techs to cut the counterbores to achieve 13-15 protrusion then fit the liners with Loctite 515 on both sides of the shims as well as a smear of it around the outside of the liner between the oring area and shim area. The Loctite does nothing except create more work for the next guy.

As far as shim stacking goes, Cummins say not to, but supply a loose shim with 152mm liners and a prefitted shim with 150mm liners....So you have no choice but to stack 2 shims when the block has been machined. I wouldn't be interested in stacking more than 2 unless it was my own engine. It would certainly be helpful if they made a 0.040" shim.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT

Messages In This Thread
Block cutting - dericson - 04-16-2022,
RE: Block cutting - Signature620 - 04-16-2022
RE: Block cutting - Rawze - 04-16-2022,
RE: Block cutting - Agentspd - 04-16-2022,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.