understanding incal and xcal files
04-17-2022, (Subject: understanding incal and xcal files ) 
understanding incal and xcal files
I'm hoping someone can help me understand better what I am dealing with regarding incal and xcal files.

My ecm croaked last week. I have calterm 3.17, and I finally got my settings and computer set up to be able to connect to my ECM with the correct config file. Now I am trying to download the calibration so I can pull and replace the ecm and to be honest, I'm kind on confused about how incal and xcal files work. I have @m*m^2 installed, so I'm kind of afraid of being a know it all and accidentally overwriting or erasing the calibration on my ecm.

I figured I could just download the calibration, but calterm asks me for both files before downloading. I'm not quite sure how to even know which specific file it wants either. Dont want to make any assumptions with this.

All I have been able to find is something about converting files...? Im assuming this is something I have to do after I download the calibration, before it's uploaded into the replacement ecm.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
04-17-2022, (Subject: understanding incal and xcal files ) 
RE: understanding incal and xcal files
First of all, if you want to make a backup of the old ecm onto your laptop .. the option is called "Upload".

Next.. if your looking to Write a file from your Laptop BACK TO THE ECM ... onto the truck .. it is called 'Download".

You were not very clear what you are trying to even do in your post there. It implies that maybe you have confused the 2 options.

===============
the next confusion you seem to have...

"Incal" files are simply the default blank factory files straight from the engine maker and nothing more. It is what the stealer#shi#t shoves into your ecm when you buy a new ecm. They have nothing to do with calterm or any kind of de-mandates, etc.

If you are copying the file from one ecm to another one.. it has absolutely nothing to do with the factory "incal" program files at all.

=========

-- For any engine newer than a CM870 ... All someone typically has to do is simply "Upload" the existing engine file out of the old ecm.. and then "Download" back it onto the new ecm. simple as that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz
04-18-2022, (Subject: understanding incal and xcal files ) 
Thats part of the reason for the post. I think I was confused...

I want to copy the image of my ecm prior to removing the current ecm, then reimaging the new ecm with my current calibration after installation.

Guidance in calterm is vague at best. I definitely want to make sure I dont go in there blindly doing things and cause more issues than I've already had this past week.

So incal files are basically stock calibrations...? I dont have a stock calibration so that answers that.

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
The tricky part with calterm is you need the .ecfg file for the type of ECM you are using. Calterm will not work with Incal files. Incal files are for insite. Calterm uses/makes xcal files. An xcal is actually just an unzipped Incal file. If you have the right stuff you can rezip the calterm xcal back into an Incal file that can be used in insite.

When you go to upload in calterm it acts like you are selecting a file but you actually are browsing and typing in a file name for the new file you are creating. For an ecm complete back up I also like to use Insite to save an image and convert that into a template so I have a template from Insite and a xcal from calterm.

Hope I helped and didn't add more confusion.....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz
I’m pulling my calibration now. Third times a charm I guess. I saved both a copy of a .cal and and .xcal…does it matter which I download back into the ecm for an 871?

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
(04-18-2022 )windowrattler Wrote:  If you have the right stuff you can rezip the calterm xcal back into an Incal file that can be used in insite.

What does it take to do this?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(04-18-2022 )dhirocz Wrote:  I’m pulling my calibration now. Third times a charm I guess. I saved both a copy of a .cal and and .xcal…does it matter which I download back into the ecm for an 871?

Kind of a trick question. The file that you pull/get from Calterm can honestly be named anything you want it to be. The file extension ".cal or .xcal or .txt" etc doesn't even matter from what I have been able to tell.

Did you use insite to make a back up copy of the ecm image/template? You shouldn't need it with what you are doing but it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
replyreply
(04-18-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  
(04-18-2022 )windowrattler Wrote:  If you have the right stuff you can rezip the calterm xcal back into an Incal file that can be used in insite.

What does it take to do this?

In other places on the internet you can find unpackers and repackers. All the stock incal files are password protected to unzip. I think pkzip would be the correct compression program to use for recompression. I might have even just used 7zip to rezip the file. Rename it the same as a stock incal file and then replace the stock file with the modded file in your Intelect folder and Insite will recognize it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Chamberpains
Got it done today. I want to thank everyone for nudging me in the right direction. Definitely wasn't trying to screw that one up. No more stalling when the engine comes up to temp, and I let it run for 2 hours before taking it out for a test drive.
I wasn't expecting to lose all my hours in the hour meter, it got reset to 0. I luckily took a picture before replacing the ECM so that shouldn't be too hard of a fix.
Anybody know how the life expectancy of the RX ecm's compare to the new one that truck was built with?

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.