ISX oil pressure problems
09-30-2023, (Subject: ISX oil pressure problems ) 
RE: ISX oil pressure problems
(09-30-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-29-2023 )SquareOne Wrote:  
(09-29-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  Am I understanding you right........ you said this engine had a fuel pump failure?

Exactly what I was thinking...wonder if the oil overheating issue is a result of the engine not being flushed properly to remove all the metal pieces.

They did mention that it had a fuel pump failure ...

If that fuel pump (or other hardened component) failed and sent metal thru the engine ... your f$ucked without ...

A== Some kind of serious deep-cleaning flush with several hundreds of gallons of diesel-oil mix going thru the engine while it is run.

B== Pulling and inspecting a few (and not just one of each) of the rod and main bearings to see how extensive the damage is to the bottom end, wrist pins, etc... because it will be be inframe city if there is.

B== Inspecting all of the face gears and replacing all of them that may have gotten pitted.

C== Replacing the oil cooler, oil filter, AND cleaning out the the oil bypass valve. The oil cooler will be full of metal shavings, and there really is no way to get them all out. The engine will spit out metal into the oil system randomly and fail all over again if it is not.

D== Pulling the rocker shafts and rockers apart, flushing all the tiny passages in each of the the rocker arms, cleaning the passages in the cam, etc.

E== Pulling the face gears and cleaning behind them, and also, while the oil pump and rocker shafts are off of it, flushing the passage between the front gear housing cover and the block that leads to the oil pump pressure regulator.

D== The injectors and several fuel system components will also need replacing if the plungers are damaged. Injectors, high pressure relief valve, and the fuel rail + all fuel system components needs to also be flushed too.

- It is VERY VERY COSTLY ... a whole lot of flushing and work has to be done to it ... and time consuming to get the engine back into a reliable state and to stop all of the progressive damage after the fuel pump fails. This especially if some moron kept driving more than a few hours ... or worse, a few days or more with a bad fuel pump!.

so ... most likely... and for all anyone knows, the oil pump and a whole lot of other things could be destroyed too. This could also explain the oil overheating, and that the pressure is way off, as a whole lot of metal shavings typically gets caught into the oil cooler, clogging it up, and the passage feeding the oil pressure regulator gets full of metal too.

I.E.> THE ENTIRE ENGINE BECOMES A BOAT ANCHOR AND IS DESTROYED whenever that fuel pump fails and someone keeps driving it against the 0559 (low fuel pressure) fault codes that come and go like the wind, and they ignore them.

That or they go more than 400k miles (8,000 hours) without changing the guts of the fuel pump!.

I SERIOUSLY THINK THAT THE RED ENGINE MAKER SHOULD HAVE A BIG DAMN FAT ORANGE AND YELLOW STICKER ON THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE .. That says to replace the guts of the fuel pump every 8,000 hours or 400k miles regardless of condition ... really I do!.

So you’re basically saying flush that whole motor out. That’s what I’m prob going to end up doing when I get the time to tear it apart. I’m going to have to clean out the oil passages prob pull the pistons and liners and flush it out. It’s hard to pinpoint it but hoping it hadn’t spun a bearing
replyreply
09-30-2023, (Subject: ISX oil pressure problems ) 
Actually what he said was.......

If someone kept driving it for more than a few hours after a fuel pump failure, your entire engine is a boat anchor.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Therealarw
10-02-2023, (Subject: ISX oil pressure problems ) 
(09-30-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  Actually what he said was.......

If someone kept driving it for more than a few hours after a fuel pump failure, your entire engine is a boat anchor.

So is it even worth taking it a part and looking through it? I thought maybe it’d be salvageable but if you guys think it’s not worth it then I might not even mess with it.
replyreply
I would say that would depend on how much time you have to dick with it, an how much your time is worth, (meaning how much could you be making doing something else) if you have another motor in the truck and it is still making revenue, and you have the extra time.. why not.. if you need it up and running fast, then boat anchor it and move on..

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(10-02-2023 )JMBT Wrote:  I would say that would depend on how much time you have to dick with it, an how much your time is worth, (meaning how much could you be making doing something else) if you have another motor in the truck and it is still making revenue, and you have the extra time.. why not.. if you need it up and running fast, then boat anchor it and move on..

To be honest, I’d be getting paid to take it apart. So I’d still be able to make some money off of taking it apart and going through it. I’ll have a lot of free time in the winter so it’d definitely be a fun project. Living in California these Cummins are the best heavy duty motors we got. So I’d really hate to see this go to waste
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.