First expensive truck purchase.
05-01-2022, (Subject: First expensive truck purchase. ) 
First expensive truck purchase.
I’m looking at purchasing a newer truck to replace an old one I have on the farm. The truck I’m looking at is a 2009 Peterbilt 389, 46” sleeper, Cummins ISX 485 with just under 700k on it. No rebuild has been done on it. The truck spent most of its life in a rust free state and the interior and exterior are extremely clean. 10 speed. Truck also has a wet kit. I’ve test drove the truck and it feels great running down the road. It has zero leaks. He’s asking $79,000. I’ve never spent that much on a truck, my biggest concern is buying this truck and having major engine problems after putting some miles on it since it already has 700k on it. Is this something I should run away from or take the gamble and buy it?
replyreply
RE: First expensive truck purchase.
I think 79k is way too much moneys for a truck with 700k+ miles on the odo/engine.

and why do you need a square-nose flying brick?. - you do know it will be nothing but a fuel pig, right?. Is there a specific reason for this?

- personally you could not give me that truck, simply because I would not want to spend $75,000 per year just to keep its fuel tanks from running, it drinking the stuff like its the 1980's all over again.

Also, is it de-mandated(deleted)?... and if so .. you need to post some overview pics of the intake and exhaust sides of the engine... and assume up front that the engine has most likely been abused by bad delete programming.

Does it have the right rear end gear ratio for your operations?.

Anyone bothered to inspect the overhead cams for flaking?... looked past the paint job and "how clean it was"? Last I checked.. the engine, drive-train, ecm abuse/use history, etc. and its overall health were far more important than how clean it was. At 700k it should have a fairly new crank shaft damper on it, most all the sensors should look like they have been replaced, and a whole lot of signs of other regular service work done too.

Just my own opinion any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Owen17
Thanks for the reply. Reason for wanting a peterbilt is that I’ve always liked the way they looked and decided that’s the style I want. I don’t want to sound dumb but what are the reasons a truck of this body style is so much more of a fuel hog than the other road tractors with the same engine? Is it because of aerodynamics? Engine has not been de-mandated. Gear ratios are setup for what I plan to do with the truck.
replyreply
(05-01-2022 )Owen17 Wrote:  to replace an old one I have on the farm

It sounds like you won't be putting a lot of miles on it then, I'm guessing, so buying a brick wouldn't matter as much to you as someone else.

However, with current truck prices, right now is a horrible time to buy. Can't you make the old one last a little longer?
replyreply
(05-01-2022 )Owen17 Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. Reason for wanting a peterbilt is that I’ve always liked the way they looked and decided that’s the style I want. I don’t want to sound dumb but what are the reasons a truck of this body style is so much more of a fuel hog than the other road tractors with the same engine? Is it because of aerodynamics? Engine has not been de-mandated. Gear ratios are setup for what I plan to do with the truck.

I would tell someone that they should NEVER buy a truck because of its looks .. or its resale value... paint job, etc. unless they are willing to throw a large chunk of their profitability away, and ignore operating costs. And on a flying brick.. this takes it to the extreme... like loosing 3+ mpg kind of extremes before doing anything.

Unless someone has a very specific need for that fuel pig of a front end, it is the same as shooting yourself in the foot before the big race!. - You'de be spending 75-78k a year in fuel alone with it vs a truck that is all set up aero only spending about 63-68k. It sometimes can be enough fuel wasted after 4 or 5 years to buy a whole other truck!.

Most o/o's these days do well to be able to save 10-15k in a savings account above all their operating costs and living expenses. Put a fuel pig into that mix, and most people would be left at the end of the year wondering why they are not getting ahead financially.

-- and YES, it is that big square nose and its complete lack of aerodynamics. - How about I hand you a big sheet of ply-wood the same size as that trucks front end, and have you hold it up against the wind in the back of my pick-up truck.. and see how fast I drive before it knocks you backwards. I bet it would not be 30 mph before you could no longer hold it against that much wind.

I am all about saving the number one operating cost in trucking as much as possible ... FUEL. And making moneys that someone can keep and not give it to already rich oil companies, and already rich mega-chain repair shops, etc.. but to keep the moneys maximizing long term profit. Otherwise, why should someone sacrifice their personal lives, their family time, their time with their children, etc.. and live in a truck?. - To me, it would not be worth all those sacrifices in life unless i was getting EVERY DAMN RED CENT POSSIBLE for it in exchange.

My point is that someone should be well aware that with a truck purchase.. these days, it goes far beyond that paint job and glee of owning a certain type of style or look. They need to be well aware of what they are getting themselves into .. and/or are sacrificing BEFORE regretting it, or it breaking them financially due to poor planning, and not after. That is why I say such strong things against the least profitable trucks on the roads... because I have seen countless people purchase them.. and then it ruin them financially, or they never seem to get ahead, because they had no idea of how bad some trucks really are. Those square-nose trucks have the highest operating cost per mile of them all. I understand that some people need those types of trucks.. where that large front end is needed in some operations where the engine would normally overheat due to extreme duty .. but otherwise, someone is only fooling themselves.

just my thoughts... the beer is talkin'.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker , kozakvod
As one who owns a flying brick, RAWZE is spot on with his assessment. My situation is unique in that I'm a car hauler (9 car stinger) so everything that is required for good or even okay MPG is against me. Not only does the flat nose of my 388 grab a ton of wind, so does the pick-up truck or suv that is always backed on overhead. Basically anything you can think of that would cause a truck to have horrible MPG, I have it. Not to mention that every load I run begins a 590' above sea level and ends up at almost 7,000' over 710 miles or so. Not only that, but I'm always 78k to 83k pounds loaded. Not only that, but slightly north of due west run from DFW to Amarillo is ALWAYS hampered by winds and this year has been exceptionally bad. I've been plagued by winds in excess of 50 mpg MULTIPLE trips this year, never seen so much wind as we've had.

So if you have a true need for a flatnose Pete or W900 that's fine, but I would sure enough consider other options if I had the choice. Either way you go, good luck on your purchase and hope you truly enjoy your new ride.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Most of the farmers I know run in the 6500 mile per year range back and forth to the elevator. If that’s all your gonna do with this truck I don’t think the mileage(high 5’s at best) will be much of a concern. Ideally it should have a 3:90 or higher ratio, anything faster and you’ll regret having that 10 speed. As far as the engine, 700k is when the big issues start. You’ll be back in a few months asking for troubleshooting tips, not so much for the engine but the aftertreatment. If the truck is spec’d EXACTLY as you need it to be that would be the deciding factor for me. I’d rather rebuild an engine in a truck that has the full lockers, 3/4 frame insert and 46k rears than upfit a truck with all those options and then still rebuild the engine and the rest of the truck. There’s nothing wrong with owning a truck your proud to drive, it makes that monthly payment a lot easier but make sure it works for ya especially well considering what your gonna pay for it.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
I will definitely agree with rawze on the “areo” truck being much more efficient for high mileage on highway use. My opinion is every truck has major pros and cons.

As another owner of a brick, my W900L suffers in a head wind especially if you push it over 60-65 mph. But I do very little highway running. Most of my work is FM roads to county roads onto off road applications the would shake a truck with fairings apart.

If you are running for the “farm” and don’t run the high mileage at highway speeds I don’t think the big nose will be a killer but it will make a difference. How the truck is spec’d will make the truck, rear ends being the biggest factor.

I can guarantee that right now is not the time to buy a Pete or any of the “classic” style trucks as they are bringing a premium. A friend of mine that I sub out work to when I get backed up recently bought a 379 ex hood that has 1.2 mil on odometer with no documented motor work and he gave $79,500 for it! He then Proceeds to raise his price on me by almost 30% to make his crazy payment and all the repairs on a million mile plus truck.

Both have their place but application is everything.
replyreply
If you buy it, demandate immediately through a trusted tuner from THIS forum.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.