N14 gremlin
05-02-2022, (Subject: N14 gremlin ) 
N14 gremlin
Hey everyone glad I found a forum that might be able to help. So to make a long story long. N14 525, came in for head gasket leaking. Block pitted. 25,000hrs on it. Log truck. Pulled motor and sent it out to get surfaced and line bored. Did the build and re-installed motor. Could not get the thing to start for the life of us. Gone through every diagnostic possible. Will not fire up unless you give it a little shot of ether. Then it runs like a top. No smoke no nothing. At cranking it wasn’t getting the minimum 25Psi of fuel pressure off the pump. So sent it out and got it rebuilt. Still only getting around 5psi. I believe the pump needs to be replaced with a new one but We also don’t want to throw 1000$ at it. Any help would be great. Anything.
replyreply
RE: N14 gremlin
not an N14 person but whenever the ISX does this, no-start conditions are almost always caused by low fuel pressure while cranking.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Try bypassing the ECM cooling plate.
Try running a fuel hose straight from a jerry can to the fuel filter inlet.
Check that none of the plugs or crossover pipes are leaking between the heads.
Measure the fuel inlet restriction at the fuel pump inlet.
Should've been cleared out when the pump was overhauled but check the fuel pump screen.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
05-03-2022, (Subject: N14 gremlin ) 
Sounds like it's losing prime

Or the fuel solenoid is sticking
replyreply
Are you getting 5v at the fuel solenoid?
If so, i suggest replacing the fuel solenoid

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
Is it an celect or celect plus engine? Hook up insite, check to see if it is reading RPM while cranking, if is not then you have a timing sensor issue and the ecm does not know to fire the injectors. It’s not smoking like you say so you are not getting any fuel to the cylinders. There is also a check valve and screen on the outlet of the ecm cooling plate, pull that off and check for blockage. Also a strainer on the fuel pump that can be pulled and checked. Make sure your fuel solenoid is opening with key on.

User's Signature: 2015 389 Peterbilt. ISX 550 18speed 3.70 gears
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.