Reliable oil change places on the road
05-08-2022, (Subject: Reliable oil change places on the road ) 
Reliable oil change places on the road
I have always done oil changes myself except for a couple of times that I have been out for a while and didn’t make it home on time.I’m running local in Oklahoma which is not my home state for the time being so I’m wondering what oil change places have been reliable for you guys? Also the couple of times I have gone to Speedco they only filled my oil filter halfway and I always fill it completely. Does it affect anything and should I tell them to fill it completely?

My OCI’s are 10-12k with 6mpg and I have been changing the fuel filters every time I do the the oil change.Is that too soon?
replyreply
RE: Reliable oil change places on the road
That interval sounds about right for that fuel mileage range.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...1#pid70681

Getting that fuel mileage to go up a bit would be the next goal to reach.

as far as ilo change places go, I usually use speedco.. but i watch them like a hawk + make them do the oil and fuel filters separately.

Also, as far as not filling the oil filter up all the way ... I don't think it matters that much, however, Myself, I just try to avoid letting someone change the fuel and oil filters at the same time. this avoids a lot of extra cranking with the system dry of oil.

Do the oil first.. then crank it up to get the oil pressure back .. then it shut off again and replace the fuel filter after the oil pressure has built back up.

I know on an ISX.. it is not as important to do it that way, but on a detroit.. you can spin a bearing. Here is a previous post about this:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid61520

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1 , Toolguy
(05-08-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  That interval sounds about right for that fuel mileage range.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...1#pid70681

Getting that fuel mileage to go up a bit would be the next goal to reach.

as far as ilo change places go, I usually use speedco.. but i watch them like a hawk + make them do the oil and fuel filters separately.

Also, as far as not filling the oil filter up all the way ... I don't think it matters that much, however, Myself, I just try to avoid letting someone change the fuel and oil filters at the same time. this avoids a lot of extra cranking with the system dry of oil.

Do the oil first.. then crank it up to get the oil pressure back .. then it shut off again and replace the fuel filter after the oil pressure has built back up.

I know on an ISX.. it is not as important to do it that way, but on a detroit.. you can spin a bearing. Here is a previous post about this:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid61520

My truck is an 03’ International 9900i with an 04’ cm870.I usually haul a stepdeck at 80k and that fuel mileage is at 65mph.Currently pulling a grain hopper at 86k.
replyreply
When I don't do my own oil changes I usually turn to TA. I know some people don't like them, but I personally haven't had any issues. Could be a case of different staff at different locations. My carrier gets a discount there so it's actually slightly cheaper then the filters, oil and grease costs for me to do it myself. But I still prefer to spend the time doing it myself.

As for filling the filters, I pre-fill my oil filter a little over 3/4 full. I leave just enough space to tip it into place without spilling any. As for the fuel filter, my cm2250 primes the fuel filter itself at key-on so I install it empty. Cycle the key on for 30 seconds about 3-5 times and the filter is filled and the system primed. Once it's primed it turns over and fires up like any other start up.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Redland1
05-09-2022, (Subject: Reliable oil change places on the road ) 
I don’t trust ANY oil change place on the road. Too many bad experiences over the last 22 years. If you are not going to get through home enough to do the changes there, put a Fumoto valve or similar on your oil pan next time you have the oil changed. By a couple cheap buckets with tight fitting lids. This will allow you to do it yourself without spilling a drop. Then find you a shop that will take the used oil. (Let them keep the buckets) $20 to one of the shop techs will help you find a home for the used oil.

I have done this many, many times when I couldn’t make it home before my interval. I carry a spare set of filters at all times, big funnel, and a gallon of sta-lube. Buy the oil at Walmart in the 2.5 gal jugs for Delvac at least. A bonus if you buy your fresh oil in 2.5/gal jugs, you can pour the used oil back into them, with your big funnel when you are done, and clean and keep your buckets for the next time.

As for the filters. I am pretty much right in line with JimT. 3/4 oil in the oil filter, CM2250 primes and purges the fuel filter well so it goes on dry, 5-6 key cycles without cranking, and it starts right off like any other time.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1 , Pd6cas2
06-12-2022, (Subject: Reliable oil change places on the road ) 
(05-09-2022 )JMBT Wrote:  I don’t trust ANY oil change place on the road. Too many bad experiences over the last 22 years. If you are not going to get through home enough to do the changes there, put a Fumoto valve or similar on your oil pan next time you have the oil changed. By a couple cheap buckets with tight fitting lids. This will allow you to do it yourself without spilling a drop. Then find you a shop that will take the used oil. (Let them keep the buckets) $20 to one of the shop techs will help you find a home for the used oil.

I have done this many, many times when I couldn’t make it home before my interval. I carry a spare set of filters at all times, big funnel, and a gallon of sta-lube. Buy the oil at Walmart in the 2.5 gal jugs for Delvac at least. A bonus if you buy your fresh oil in 2.5/gal jugs, you can pour the used oil back into them, with your big funnel when you are done, and clean and keep your buckets for the next time.

As for the filters. I am pretty much right in line with JimT. 3/4 oil in the oil filter, CM2250 primes and purges the fuel filter well so it goes on dry, 5-6 key cycles without cranking, and it starts right off like any other time.
I wish a bucket fit under the pan but mine is too low.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.