INACTIVE FAULT CODE 1117/0257
05-11-2022, (Subject: INACTIVE FAULT CODE 1117/0257 ) 
INACTIVE FAULT CODE 1117/0257
Hello,

Year: 2008
Make: Volvo
Engine: ISX cm871 (de-mandated)

Insite Fault Codes ( Inactive)
1117- Power Supply Lost with Ignition On -Data Erratic, Intermittent, Or Incorrect
0257- Engine Fuel Shutoff Valve Driver- Mechanical System not responding, or out of adjacent

Background:
Driver advised vehicle; at random points in time, will cut out and lose power for couple seconds and kick back on as nothing happened. Driver also advised after vehicle cuts out/loses power, several scenarios may happen. 1 Vehicle starts right back up, 2. The vehicle may not start right back up, but starts couple minutes later, or 3. The vehicle will not start until it cools down- usually several hours later.

To get the vehicle started back up, driver noticed that by unplugging the ECM/plugging back in(1min later), or the couple hours of "Cooldown" will get the vehicle started.

The truck did make it back to our yard and I've been trying to figure out the cause. I had the truck idle from 11am -3pm without any issues. Once we took it our for a spin, the truck started showing symptoms mentioned above. I had the truck plugged in during the test run and noticed every time the vehicle died/cut-out, stalled, I would loose connection to the ECM. Once the truck fires back up, Insite is able to connect to the ECM. I also noticed when truck cuts out and does not start right back up, I would not be able to connect to the ECM ( Insite - Error number :5200 - Lost communication between computer and datalink adapter). In order to get commutation back, you would either wait for hours and hours or unplugging/plugging back in ECM power.

Discovery(What I found)
-Battery terminals damaged/corrosion( rubbing against frame).
- Starter terminals damaged ( Negative/positive were rubbing).
- 9pin connector - pins showing slight corrosion, and/or cracked.
- Wiring Harness inside and outside firewall has some wires that are semi broken or have corrosion. The male and female pins do have corrosion ( not all ).

Question:
1. On the wiring harness, how do I figure out what each wire means/controls/belongs to? Both Volvo and Local cummins dealerships will not provide assistance in identifying the wires.

2. How do I go about repairing the firewall Male/female connectors ( pins) on the wiring harness(Cab).

3. Since starter Positive/Negative terminals made contact, was the ECM damaged/can the ECM get damaged?

4. Replace the wiring harness or repair current one?

Note:
I have pictures ( show/explain current situation better) but Im not sure how to upload them on here.

Any positive feedback or guide will help and is greatly appreciated.
replyreply
05-11-2022, (Subject: INACTIVE FAULT CODE 1117/0257 ) 
RE: INACTIVE FAULT CODE 1117/0257
What your describing is a very common problem with CM870 and CM871 ECM's. It is very well known. Here is a similar thread and what the causes are.

IT IS ALMOST ALWAYS a BAD ECM!>.. and here is how you will know it...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid70893

==================

- There is also the separate subject of it being "deleted". It is also a top priority that you copy the ecm program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review. MOST ALL of those "delete" programs are extremely harmful to the engine, will severely shorten the engine life, and this is nothing to play around with. I don't care how well you think it might have run before.

Copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review. i will tell you what someone did, good, bad, and downright ugly. .. and this is to ensure it is correct, safe for the engine, etc.

-- Does the engine still have its VG turbo?.
-- What hardware other mods might have been done to it as well?.

This stuff is no joke and means the difference in how long that engine lasts .. or eats its own guts out going down the roads... by as much as 75%.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-12-2022, (Subject: INACTIVE FAULT CODE 1117/0257 ) 
(05-11-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  What your describing is a very common problem with CM870 and CM871 ECM's. It is very well known. Here is a similar thread and what the causes are.

IT IS ALMOST ALWAYS a BAD ECM!>.. and here is how you will know it...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid70893

==================

- There is also the separate subject of it being "deleted". It is also a top priority that you copy the ecm program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review. MOST ALL of those "delete" programs are extremely harmful to the engine, will severely shorten the engine life, and this is nothing to play around with. I don't care how well you think it might have run before.

Copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review. i will tell you what someone did, good, bad, and downright ugly. .. and this is to ensure it is correct, safe for the engine, etc.

-- Does the engine still have its VG turbo?.
-- What hardware other mods might have been done to it as well?.

This stuff is no joke and means the difference in how long that engine lasts .. or eats its own guts out going down the roads... by as much as 75%.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

Hope all is well,

Thank you for the quick reply.

- How do I go about copying the program out of the ECM?
- I believe we have a " fixed" turbo setup.

Once again, thank you for all the help/guidance with this current issue.
replyreply
05-12-2022, (Subject: INACTIVE FAULT CODE 1117/0257 ) 
(05-12-2022 )MLV Wrote:  ...
- How do I go about copying the program out of the ECM?
- I believe we have a " fixed" turbo setup.

Once again, thank you for all the help/guidance with this current issue.

If it has a garbage-can, fixed turbo put on it, then you need to start sourcing the parts to get the proper VG turbo back onto it. That is also a sign of a bad delete for sure... because anyone who knows how the engines actually run, would not be so quick to do such a horrible things to them. The VGt turbo on the newer model engines is the very thing that the ecm uses to set the proper fuel-air-mix ... and removing it destroys the ecm's ability to do this properly.

what you describe so far sounds exactly like this one...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid70826

======

As far as copying the program out of it.. that is quite easy to do if you have a laptop and a datalink adapter (Nexiq, Inline, etc).
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid70300

I also PM'd you my number if you want to chat about it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.