Cummins 152mm Block
05-11-2022, (Subject: Cummins 152mm Block ) 
Cummins 152mm Block
Would like some opinions from owners and other shops alike;

We cant get ahold of any blocks at the moment, I'm down to one 152mm block left. I can repair it with lower inserts however this would mean I'm 3k into a block that I'm not a fan of with a last ditch method of repair, or it gets retired.

Truck owners, knowing this is a subpar and repaired block, is it worth pulling the trigger on it knowing that it'll come in 15-20% less then a long block? Normally we swap to 150 if possible
Mechanics, are you guys (especially in the states) having the same shortages? At what point would you junk a block with replacements unavailable and long block very sporadically in stock?

I could get a guy back on the road with it but it's not something I'm keen on, our options have just become very limited though.
replyreply
05-11-2022, (Subject: Cummins 152mm Block ) 
RE: Cummins 152mm Block
I have no idea what your referring to.

Are you talking about counter-boring it at the mid-stops and using shimms to raise the liners?
. If so then that IS THE NORMAL PROCEDURE when inframing an ISX.

Also, if your concerned with 150mm vs 152mm liners .. if the engine is built right,,... and the liners raised like recommended on this forum .. then this should not matter.

... and if your experience is otherwise.. then that is a sign of either poor workmanship by whoever is rebuilding them .. and/or pure engine abuse!... of which is an absolute plague, all in itself up there in canada where your at!... and especially due to idiots who want more power than the engine is designed for, combined with bad deletes!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-12-2022, (Subject: Cummins 152mm Block ) 
Once we have a block cut to the maximum .032 already and still have cracks or liner ledge (usually only 152mm) height issues it is removed and replaced or cut further to 060 to see if we can cut out the cracks and go with a very not Cummins stainless shim, never have all cracks been removed at the extra depth in not clean at 32. Rarely have I seen a 150 cracked and so stems my leeriness of moving forward with repairing a 152 as 100% of the the few I've seen have had cracked ledges. Bad tuning is a huge factor with ledges cracking, never have I found cracks in a decent tune or stock engine.

A block without any issues other then the ledges can be sent for lower inserts. The entire ledge is machined away 10-15mm and a insert is shrunk in to replace the removed material, the insert is then machined true and faced to whatever protrusion wished without needed a shim.

I understand very well what is and what isn't Cummins specification. The insert procedure is something I haven't had done to a block before but is common practice by machine shops in Alberta. The amount of abusive tuning is insane, its a pandemic in itself, no town should have this many engine shops flat out and it's causing it's own issues, we are having to looking for other options to keep guys rolling. Fact is I have no other blocks available. My own opinion is hesitant to go this route but there's simply no middle ground left. I am curious what people think, it's not a Cummins procedure and I'm not toting it as an equivalent to a new block. The situation is we can't get a block, the options are have inserts installed, wait 4 weeks for a long block, drop in if available at 54k (cnd)
replyreply
Lay out all the options to your customer and see what he says. His money - His decision.
replyreply
(05-12-2022 )Signature620 Wrote:  Lay out all the options to your customer and see what he says. His money - His decision.

This one doesn't have a customer, if it gets repaired it'll sit until needed. The customer is hypothetically anyone willing to give me their opinion on which way they'd lean.
replyreply
(05-12-2022 )Colter Wrote:  ... or cut further to 060 to see if we can cut out the cracks ...

You should not be trying to cut deeper to cut out the imperfections/stress cracks at the mid-stops. That is a mistake... and your removing a lot of material for no reason whatsoever if you try to do this.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Soulreaver0102
What are the blocks in? 22 or 2350?
I have 1 of each think the ole fuel pump got to the 2250 its knocking
the 2350 just locked up going down the road we havn't even bothered with it since
If you are just looking for blocks, Im sure neither of them have ever been built before there under 800k miles
replyreply
(05-12-2022 )RollinCoal Wrote:  What are the blocks in? 22 or 2350?
I have 1 of each think the ole fuel pump got to the 2250 its knocking
the 2350 just locked up going down the road we havn't even bothered with it since
If you are just looking for blocks, Im sure neither of them have ever been built before there under 800k miles

This block is 2250. Id like to have one good block ready if needed at any point. There are shop here selling used blocks with these inserts as "new blocks". We're pretty upfront with our options which is also why I'm looking for opinions prior to pulling the trigger on a repair. If your willing to part with one and as long as I can get it here for less then a fortune I'd be interested.

I've gone through more blocks in the last 5 weeks then the previous year and I'm noticing a trend of damage with the VGT deleted engines in particular. It's such a terribly stupid thing to do to a Cummins.
replyreply
The 2250 is the 1 knocking Not sure if it was the fuel pump or camshaft
Cam is flaking in it
Whats your location?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.

Theme by MyBB Addict
Contact Us | Rawze.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication