Uneven steer tire wear
05-14-2022, (Subject: Uneven steer tire wear ) 
Uneven steer tire wear
Both steers are wearing unevenly.What could be causing this?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Uneven steer tire wear
(05-14-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  Both steers are wearing unevenly.What could be causing this?

Top pic was passenger side.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
That looks just like the rear ends of the truck are out of alignment.
maybe some reading about alignment will help: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid16060

also, on this post, I point out how some kinds of edge wear is actually normal, depending on how you drive your truck..
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid42849

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
05-16-2022, (Subject: Uneven steer tire wear ) 
You should also check for excessive play in the wheel bearings and kingpins. Something I like to check for when looking at uneven tire wear. Its not hard. Jack up the wheel in question at least 1-2 inches off the ground. Insert a pry bar under the tire and lift up and down with the bar. Have someone else watch the steering knuckle joints for any movement. There is an acceptable amount but I usually like to see no play at all. Have seen this cause issues before. If you can feel play but see no movement in the kingpins then most likely you have bearings that need to be looked at. Another tip is to try checking the kingpins before you grease them. Sometimes the grease will take up the play and can give you false readings.
replyreply
05-16-2022, (Subject: Uneven steer tire wear ) 
There are proper ways to check king pin and hub bearing allowance. There is a minimum and a maximum.. and the proper ways of checking these tolerances and what they are can be found in the service manual for that type/brand of axle.

Jacking one up and simply "feeling it" is not an acceptable method. Most people who own their trucks (and most mechanics for the most part too these days) would not be able to tell by "feel" until the axle was already literally falling apart... or they would "feel" a bit of play and call it bad.. when it was still well within tolerances.

My hendrickson front end is a fine example of this.. EVERY MECHANIC THAT USES THE "FEEL METHODS" WOULD TELL ME THAT THE AXLE KING PINS ARE BAD. because those hendrickson front axle pins have a whole lot of up/down play in them on purpose, even when they are brand spanking new, due to its design, and it has never caused any excessive tire wear.

If someone jacks up an axle and checks it with a pry-bar .. They had better use a damnned dial indicator to check the tolerances before calling it good or bad if it is not something that is obviously completely destroyed and falling apart.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.