Turbo Oil return line cm871
05-21-2022, (Subject: Turbo Oil return line cm871 ) 
Turbo Oil return line cm871
Just replaced my turbo and so far so good. Now I have a small oil leak coming from the oil return line. It's coming from the seal connection near the oil pan on the block. Has anyone changed that seal before? Just ordered a new one from cummins and wondering how much of a pain in the ass is it to change it out? Doesn't look to difficult but I always think that until I start the job and then damn wtf is it so hard to replace, lol. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
replyreply
RE: Turbo Oil return line cm871
I believe you'll want to drop the pan, can't remember entirely it's been a while.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rapidisimo
(05-21-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  I believe you'll want to drop the pan, can't remember entirely it's been a while.

Damn really, I hope not. Why do you think that? It's on the top engine block side. Why would I have to drop the pan?
replyreply
(05-21-2022 )rapidisimo Wrote:  
(05-21-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  I believe you'll want to drop the pan, can't remember entirely it's been a while.

Damn really, I hope not. Why do you think that? It's on the top engine block side. Why would I have to drop the pan?

Lot easier to use a punch from the bottom. You may be able to punch it into a C shape and pull it out from the top, just be careful not to score up the hole in the block. New one is driven in from the top.
replyreply
05-22-2022, (Subject: Turbo Oil return line cm871 ) 
(05-21-2022 )rapidisimo Wrote:  

They tend to rust out and become difficult to remove. It is actually best to drop the oil pan if it is old and rusty. That way you do not get rust, dirt, crud, etc. down into the oil and oil-pan.

You are also going to want to polish up the hole it mounts into with a scotch-brite pad really nicely so the new one does not leak. Again, dropping the oil pan is the prudent thing to do as you don;t want any debris from the scotch-brite pad or the crap that was cleaned .. getting into the oil.

- My own opinon is that taking a shortcut by not dropping the oil pan to replace that gasket would be quite risky. It would be best to take the time to drop the pan, etc. Maybe take the opportunity to also do a rod/main bearing job if it is getting towards 800k miles on those components too while you in there?. - just some thoughts.

Last but not least.. make sure you have a maintenance free crank case filter.. or that it has been drilled out really well so that the engine cannot build up any pressure in the oil pan. Any pressure buildup causes things like the turbo drain line, electrical fittings, and other places on the engine to leak/seep oil. Any pressure buildup ion the engine also causes premature camshaft damage, turbocharger problems, and other issues too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-22-2022, (Subject: Turbo Oil return line cm871 ) 
Thank you very much for the info. I guess I'm dropping the pan, the fun never ends, damn it!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.