Torsion bar issue
08-31-2016, (Subject: Torsion bar issue ) 
Torsion bar issue
Ok, this is messed up. The torsion bar for the hood that goes to the left side of the radiator (AK hood lift assist) was digging into the oil cooler on the left side every time I opened the hood. I took it off before it did any real damage but the stealership wants 300 bucks for that thing. I've been running without it for now but they said they have never seen it before. I was getting the oil changed at a truck stop when I noticed it and they said they had never seen it before either, until I went back to get a tire and the mechanic that did the oil change said that since I pointed it out to him, he notices it a lot now. Is the torsion bar just worn out or is this how it is supposed to be. I don't want to order one and have the same problem. If anyone has seen this or knows the answer to this problem let me know please. Thanks

User's Signature: I don't know sh!t from shinola!
replyreply
RE: Torsion bar issue
Oil cooler is under the exhaust manifold on the right side of the engine.
Do mean the Charge Air Cooler? (CAC)

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
Well it's some kind of cooler in front of the radiator. Tranny cooler maybe? I think your missing the point. The location of the oil cooler isn't the issue.

replyreply
No the CAC is on top of the radiator. In front of the radiator by the lowest part of the torsion bar that comes from the right side to the left.

replyreply
(08-31-2016 )Dcolumbia Wrote:  No the CAC is on top of the radiator. In front of the radiator by the lowest part of the torsion bar that comes from the right side to the left.

Sounds more like it shifted and could be adjusted, loose bolts maybe. Even though the hood is fiberglass, it's still heavy. Letting the hood drop when you open it could jerk it enough to knock it out of alignment. Look for tell tale marks on paint to see if it moved from the factory location. Look for any squashed or missing bushings.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(08-31-2016 )Dcolumbia Wrote:  Ok, this is messed up. The torsion bar for the hood that goes to the left side of the radiator (AK hood lift assist) was digging into the oil cooler on the left side every time I opened the hood. I took it off before it did any real damage but the stealership wants 300 bucks for that thing. I've been running without it for now but they said they have never seen it before. I was getting the oil changed at a truck stop when I noticed it and they said they had never seen it before either, until I went back to get a tire and the mechanic that did the oil change said that since I pointed it out to him, he notices it a lot now. Is the torsion bar just worn out or is this how it is supposed to be. I don't want to order one and have the same problem. If anyone has seen this or knows the answer to this problem let me know please. Thanks

Is it a Prostar?...

That is easy to happen on a prostar. The mount with the 3 bolts that hold the front bracket can get shoved too far back, and cause the bar to hit the tranny cooler as the hood is opened/closed. It happens if the hood gets shoved back by something (like hitting a deer etc. in the road), OR if the hood was removed and put back on incorrectly. What needs to happen is that the hood raised, the 3 bolts loosened a bit, and the hood pulled further away, then tightened back down.
it is adjustable.

It can also happen if the fiberglass mounts for the torsion bar is cracked and/or is failing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
09-01-2016, (Subject: Torsion bar issue ) 
Just noticed yesterday that the fiberglass from wear the hood is mounted is starting to crack away from the hood. I tried to adjust the bar, didn't know you could adjust the hood. I ended up just pulling the bar out and left it off the truck. Now I am wondering if that part of the hood is replaceable or am I going to need a new hood?

replyreply
09-01-2016, (Subject: Torsion bar issue ) 
rawze is right, got to really looking today, looks like hood was removed at some point and installed way wrong. it is sitting at the end of the adjustment to the rear and sitting way too close to the cab, has been rubbing on the bumper and the doors in spots. I need to move the hood forward. On a good note, the part that is cracked is replaceable, the part the grill mounts to, and is not too expensive. A couple hundred dollars. I think i will do that when i do the inframe. with the cams looking as good as they do i am assuming that the cams or the head has been replaced at some point and that is why the hood was removed. long weekend to work on all this stuff with the holiday this so i am hoping to get it all done. thanks for the info guys.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
04-08-2018, (Subject: Torsion bar issue ) 
I don't know why I never noticed this thread before. I recently noticed that mine is doing the same thing (I believe it's the transmission cooler).

I saw another Prostar in a truckstop with the hood open, I went to talk to the guy and see what his looked like. It was exactly like mine; the bar was digging into his cooler too.

I hope nothing's broken, just the last shop to work on it put the hood on incorrectly. I was wondering if that bar (that is digging into the cooler) is supposed to be on the other side of a metal bracket that sits close in front of it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.