05 ISX 565 Surge, loss of power, ideas?
06-30-2022, (Subject: 05 ISX 565 Surge, loss of power, ideas? ) 
Video 05 ISX 565 Surge, loss of power, ideas?
Hi everyone thanks for letting me into this forum. I drive a 9900 with ISX 565. A few months back I started to get turbo noise, truck ran ok but replaced before it became a bigger issue. Second turbo was D&W and was noisy with just a few days out of the box, dealer replaced with a 3rd warrantied unit which is the current turbo on the vehicle, the truck now is surging under load. On gauge boost ranges from 5-50, hovering between 25-30 sometimes but for the most part stays up past 45 and falls on its face when reading in that range, rpms won’t exceed 15/1600 when boost is past 35.

CAC was replaced 6 months ago, and our “house” tech has found no other obvious leaks. Bobtail the truck runs fairly well unless presented with a large incline. Once you add a trailer to the equation drivability goes out the window. Even empty this truck which is normally a pretty decent beast struggles to get to 65mph on the flat. Fuel filters regularly changed, breathers checked, I know they pulled a few electrical components and swapped with new but I’m not sure which (I can verify tomorrow at work).

No active codes.

Any ideas? Please be gentle, I’m not even remotely mechanically or technically inclined, but I love this truck and want to get back on the road
replyreply
RE: 05 ISX 565 Surge, loss of power, ideas?
I should also mention truck was purchased 3+ yrs ago and we don’t know history of who demandate
replyreply
You have a BAD DELETE!! STOP DRIVING IT IMMEDIATELY!! 45 pounds of boost is gonna crack a piston or the head or both. Your gonna need to pull a copy of that program out and send it to Rawze for review.
Do I understand you correctly that you no longer have the VG turbo on the truck? If that's the case Your gonna need to start sourcing parts to put it back on.
What about the EGR cooler, has that been removed as well? If so your gonna need one of those too. Without it you don't get proper cooling to #5 & #6 cylinder's . It's also hell on the water pump.
These engines can be demandated correctly and live a long productive life, but there are certain rules that must be followed, that's just how it is with Cummins ISX engines.
Atleast you stumbled onto this site. This is literally the only place on the planet to get all the best and current information regarding ISX engines, welcome aboard.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chelleb518 , Pd6cas2
I’m for sure not driving it, will swing by shop tomorrow and discuss with them, this engine and program had been done several years (3+ years OTR), had no problems with it until this last 6 months. It has been a great truck otherwise.

Regarding the turbo, when we called the dealer they told us the cummins rebuild or quality equal was on national backorder but they offered us the D&W which was in their words a solid alternative.
replyreply
A bad program can jump modes and get stuck there at any time. That can be the reason people report months or years of what they think is "running fine" before something like what your describing happens.

I wouldn't bother asking those guys about it if I were you. I guarantee they don't have a clue what they are talking about. Your next step is to get c a l t e r m 3.17 so you can pull that file out and get it to Rawze.

So the D&W is a VG turbo?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Cm870s don't suffer from overheating issues from removal of the egr cooler and freeze plugging the ports or water pump overloading, BUT those boost levels will destroy your engine in a hurry! Did you change the boost pressure sensor and exhaust pressure sensors and clean the tubing to it? Is the turbo OEM VGT and does the actuator arm move freely on it, if not and the turbo is hanging up could very well cause your boost levels to go to the moon and engine to pop and backfire like a machine gun until you back off of it.. mine did that... DEFINETLY get your file checked, you're on borrowed time if you keep driving it!!!
replyreply
07-01-2022, (Subject: 05 ISX 565 Surge, loss of power, ideas? ) 
Is this a CM870 engine or an early CM871?.

Most likely its a CM870.. and yeah.. get the programming checked out priority.. but also, if it is a CM870 then it can be the turbo controller going out.

It can also be the intake pressure sensor going bad or the exhaust pressure sensor (or its feed circuit) going bad too.

And yeah.. anything more than 38~39 lbs boost max on an ISX can and will cause harm to the engine in a hurry!. If you've been driving it around with 40+ and 50+ psi on it.. then your damned lucky you have not cracked a piston or dropped a liner on it yet!. That is pure engine abuse!. Not only that, but those kind of numbers are also over-spooling the living h#ell out of that turbo.. if it has already not damaged it again.

As far as a turbo goes.. If not OEM then YTS does a decent job with a reliable rebuild on them...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid65315

Just about anyone else and your most likely to get chineesuim parts inside that turbo that only last a couple years at best.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.