Invalid ECM ID CM 870
07-12-2022, (Subject: Invalid ECM ID CM 870 ) 
Invalid ECM ID CM 870
Hey guys, Im trying to flash with Cterm a CM 870 and it fails after 5-7 seconds of being started.

When I first detect ecm with the cummins ECM reflash tool, cterm is giving me the and error in the event log saying invalid module detected. No ECM ID found for device at adress0x00 . And then this is the error I get when it fails :619 impl\dlalg\GTISDownload\GTIS2_3Download.cpp, L:354 E:6 - BDS Header Record is missing in cal file. [PDL Err Code = 6 ]

When I connect with instite after trying to flash, it says ECM has been rom booted. I can reflash the stock file no problem and set parameters no problem. Wait 10 min then try again and same issue.

Has anyone have this issue before?
replyreply
07-12-2022, (Subject: Invalid ECM ID CM 870 ) 
RE: Invalid ECM ID CM 870
Calterm is known to be problematic with CM870's. It will rom-boot one in a hurry.

First and foremopst.. are you trying to flash a file into the ecm that was previously copied out?.. because Calterm is not able to do this properly for CM870 ecm's. - ALL files copied out of the ecm using Calterm will be corrupt for a CM870.

I.E.> Unlike all newer ecm's ... You can copy a file out of the ecm.. and inspect it, review it, edit, etc., etc. .. and do anything you like to it .. BUT ... YOU CANNOT FLASH IT BACK IN!. - It is a one-way trip. That file will be corrupt unless some really fancy hex-editing tricks are done to it to repair it.

NEXT:> If you take an Incal file made for a CM 870 (factory clean file) .. and then edit it in Calterm .. It will become corrupt unless you use a very specific version of CT. It has to be version 3.17 ... because all other versions of Calterm will corrupt a CM870 file in some unpredictable way... and it may or may not work.. and often, it just rom-boots the ecm after you have edited the file.

so....

THE ONLY WAY TO FLASH A CM870 WITH AN EDITED FILE RELIABLY IS TO...

* USE ONLY INCAL FILES! (because they are not corrupted yet) .. AND ONLY EDIT THE FILE WITH ClTerm V3.17 .. AND THEN IT CAN BE FLASHED IN RELIABLY!. <<-- it is a one way trip!.

so The rules to follow are >>>

>>> It is a one way trip to copy the file out of a CM870...It cannot be put back in.

<<< AND it is a one way trip to flash a factory-clean (incal files only) file into one.

Anything else and it has about an 80%+ chance of rom-booting it and causing a h#ell of a lot of grief.

ALSO.. if it going to be flashed with a de-mandate that someone has made.. THEN THERE ARE ALSO ABOUT 12 OR SO RAM MEMORY SETTINGS ALSO HAVE TO BE EDITED BY HAND/MANUALLY WHILE CONNECTED LIVE TO THE ECm, AFTER IT IS FLASHED TO GET RID OF THE TURBO DERATES THAT ARE GOING TO PLAGUE THE H#ELL OUT OF THE ENGINE TOO .. because there is no way to shut those particular settings off in the flash file at all.. because they are not part of it. -- VERY VERY FEW PEOPLE DO THIS PROPERLY AND THIS IS WHY PEOPLE ALWAYS HAVE BOOST AND OTHER HIGH-EGT ETC. PROBLEMS WITH CM870'S!.

I.E.> CM870's are a bitc#ch of an ecm that have several hang-ups that have to be dealt with in very certain ways.. or you do nothing but pull your hair out all the time. This is why not too many people like messing with them... because they don't understand them or their particular quirks.

Forum member 'running rough' does a lot of the CM870's for the people on the forum here. He has owned trucks with them, and has gotten quite good understanding and dealing with their quirks because he had to learn it the hard way with his own equipment.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mikanic
07-13-2022, (Subject: Invalid ECM ID CM 870 ) 
What do you have to do to get it out of rom boot ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(07-13-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  What do you have to do to get it out of rom boot ?

Force it back into run mode manually (can be done in CT), or use Insite to flash a factory file into it again.

Sometimes you cannot reliably flash one or get it out of rom-boot properly if the datalink adapter is connected under the dash of the truck. - I only ever use the "weather-pack" connector for my adapter on them when someone comes over here with one, and never had an issue.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
Thank you very much for the input, I was using CT 4.7 so I will be using 3.17 from now on and try again.

Yes I had to flash a stock file with Insite to get it out of rom boot and I am connected on the bench with a bench harness, the ECM is out of the truck. I luckily have 2 ECM for this truck.

I also got my demandate from Maryjin on this forum he posted a PDF of one and I was going to give it a go, its very different than what is currently in the truck.

Can I get a clean incal file from a calibration download off quickserve or do I have to get it off the disks?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.