Isx head question
09-02-2016, (Subject: Isx head question ) 
Isx head question
I have around 670000 miles on 871 and have a oil leak around front cover. Maybe cam plate seals. I have a new head. My question is would you pay to have it put on or do it yourself. I have wedge kit and cam gear puller. I think the only other tools I would need would be a torque wrench. Book hours is around 30 hours how close is that to actual time. I have changed injectors and do my on overhead thanks to Rawze.
replyreply
RE: Isx head question
A head lifting bracket tool or homemade facsimile...
Sounds like an experiment I would like to take part in. I have done it a few times on S60's, N14, C15, and countless Harley's, but not an ISX yet.
If you do it yourself, please post a write up on it...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(09-02-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  A head lifting bracket tool or homemade facsimile...
Sounds like an experiment I would like to take part in. I have done it a few times on S60's, N14, C15, and countless Harley's, but not an ISX yet.
If you do it yourself, please post a write up on it...

Most my work has been on gas engines mostly. I have done some work on Audi 5 cylinder diesels. I have a engine tilt bar for pulling motors I think would work perfect for that
replyreply
(09-02-2016 )ahm700 Wrote:  Most my work has been on gas engines mostly. I have done some work on Audi 5 cylinder diesels. I have a engine tilt bar for pulling motors I think would work perfect for that

I was referring to the bracket that bolts TO the head to facilitate lifting and placing squarely on the block, not the forklift or hydraulic lifting device...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(09-02-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 )ahm700 Wrote:  Most my work has been on gas engines mostly. I have done some work on Audi 5 cylinder diesels. I have a engine tilt bar for pulling motors I think would work perfect for that

I was referring to the bracket that bolts TO the head to facilitate lifting and placing squarely on the block, not the forklift or hydraulic lifting device...

That's what I was talking about. I will try and attach a pic.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201609/post_1976_1472852233_538c0d2948b6985d6703cad3a3ffc276.jpeg
replyreply
(09-02-2016 )ahm700 Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  

That's what I was talking about. I will try and attach a pic.

Ok, my bad...ignore my rhetoric

replyreply
The head weighs in at just over 500 lbs.

Watch my video on how I break it free from the block. Otherwise it will jump very high and cause some damage.

It is shown just past 10:01 in the video..

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-03-2016, (Subject: Isx head question ) 
(09-02-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  The head weighs in at just over 500 lbs.

Watch my video on how I break it free from the block. Otherwise it will jump very high and cause some damage.

It is shown just past 10:01 in the video..

Yes I have been watching the videos as you post them. Very insightful to say the least
replyreply
09-06-2016, (Subject: Isx head question ) 
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts its the gear housing. Thats about the life span of them for us. Nothing to technical if you have and can use wedges. Its a lot of work but a shop will kill you in labor. You should be able to get the housing for about 500$ and you will need a front main puller and installer. Radiator will have to come out.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.