CM2350 Crank no start
08-04-2022, (Subject: CM2350 Crank no start ) 
CM2350 Crank no start
I've got a 2014 389 Pete with a CM2350 motor in it that got in pretty high water during a recent flood, I started draining the fuel, rear ends and transmission (checked the oil and it looks clean, nothing on dipstick or in pan). got the fuel clean and flushed rears and trans and truck wouldn't crank, changed starter and still nothing, figured out it was the batteries so got 3 new ones and put in it. also manually turned the motor over a few times to double check no water in engine.
Got truck running, ran good drove it around 30 mins (had a check engine light come on while driving it for VGT think it was 641 - but has thrown that code before and would usually go away) and came back, drained the fluids again and re-filled them and went to start truck and it would crank but not start. Noticed lift pump wasn't working and found no power to it. All of the lights work and radio powers up but would show no codes. Also the dash when off shows the mileage but when you turn the key to on it just shows ------ for hours and mileage. Screen above steering wheel shows a J1939 fault.

I started checking fuses again, found a small in-line fuse box in the battery box that had water in it but fuses where not blown so I cleaned and dried it out and changed the fuses just in-case, checked battery connections, checked all the fuses again (changed the 100amp fuse in the box near the firewall since it showed a little rust), checked resistance on VGT plug and it showed 135-137 ohms (from what I could find it should read 120 so i'm not sure if that is an issue or not). I found what I think is a terminating resistor on the ECM side of the motor near the intake and showed 120ohm. I looked up the wiring diagram on quickserve and found the pins that power my ECM found I was getting power on the bottom OEM connector on the ECM.

Took ECM out and to a guy that could test it, he said he couldn't get anything to pull up so got a new ECM and brought it back to him and installed it on the truck today but nothing changed, still j1939. Think I found how to test voltage to the fuses (hook one lead to battery negative and use other on fuse pins) and looks like i'm getting 13v up to the ECM fuse and the other fuses in the panel near the clutch pedal, not sure if thats too high or not though, thought it should read 12v
replyreply
RE: CM2350 Crank no start
From my experience if the lift pump isn’t turning on and the hours and miles aren’t displaying with the key on it is usually a loss of power or ground to the ecm, occasionally it’s the ecm it’s self. You are most likely overlooking a fuse or have corrosion in a power or ground wire feeding the ecm. You need a schematic for your engine and the capability of reading it. If you would like you can send me a pm and I’ll do everything I can to help you
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Anderzhul
trucks are not water resistant like smart phones are.. you will be fighting gremlins in that things for a very long time..

BTW: J1939 faults will show what device(s) are not communicating... and fault code 285 or 286 on the engine will show what device it is in the "Multiplexing" screen under advanced data.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , Anderzhul
(08-04-2022 )Bengy88 Wrote:  From my experience if the lift pump isn’t turning on and the hours and miles aren’t displaying with the key on it is usually a loss of power or ground to the ecm, occasionally it’s the ecm it’s self. You are most likely overlooking a fuse or have corrosion in a power or ground wire feeding the ecm. You need a schematic for your engine and the capability of reading it. If you would like you can send me a pm and I’ll do everything I can to help you

I'm thinking this also, i'm pretty sure I got ground to it (touching a probe to ecm case and negative battery post and starter, frame, and engine grounds give me 0 ohms) but i'm going to look at running down the wire from the cab to the harness and see if I can find something there maybe. Thinking I'm gonna need to get someone with insite to look at it though.

(08-04-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  trucks are not water resistant like smart phones are.. you will be fighting gremlins in that things for a very long time..

BTW: J1939 faults will show what device(s) are not communicating... and fault code 285 or 286 on the engine will show what device it is in the "Multiplexing" screen under advanced data.

Yeah, i'm expecting to see a few odd things happen with it for a bit, also ty for this info. I don't actually have the insite kit, but looks like i'm definitely gonna need it
replyreply
(08-04-2022 )Anderzhul Wrote:  ...
Yeah, i'm expecting to see a few odd things happen with it for a bit, also ty for this info. I don't actually have the insite kit, but looks like i'm definitely gonna need it

An inline-6 adapter + insite, etc. is usually abt 300 bucks or so off obd2.com or e-bay. works just fine for most people.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-06-2022, (Subject: CM2350 Crank no start ) 
Theres a fuel pump relay(water resistant, not proof) in the engine harness check pin 30 for voltage.if none found chase back to underhood pdc. Fuse also powers upstream nox if i remember right, u could verify 12v at the upstream nox.
replyreply
(08-06-2022 )Agentspd Wrote:  Theres a fuel pump relay(water resistant, not proof) in the engine harness check pin 30 for voltage.if none found chase back to underhood pdc. Fuse also powers upstream nox if i remember right, u could verify 12v at the upstream nox.

Ty for the info, don't have truck at house at the moment or I'd check on that.

- update -
Took truck to a dealer shop today (I've took it there before and they seem to give me an ok price on labor/parts since I financed it through them, plus I need to get it back on the road asap to get some money coming in) - They checked fuses and plugged up to the j1989 connector on the engine harness with cables ran for it's own power and ground and weren't able to connect with the ECM so I'm not sure but it's looking like another ECM is gonna be needed... Not sure if cummins will give me a refund or not since I didn't get them to program it (big oof on my part) They said they'd test some other stuff on monday to confirm it is the ECM. If it is I'm just hoping there is a way to make sure it doesn't fry the next one... I mean 2 ECMs going bad doesn't seem like a coincidence, plus if it was a factory dud the guy I took it to that programmed it would've probably noticed something.
replyreply
And down the rabbit hole you go. I hope you have a thick wallet and lots of patience.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(08-06-2022 )Anderzhul Wrote:  
(08-06-2022 )Agentspd Wrote:  Theres a fuel pump relay(water resistant, not proof) in the engine harness check pin 30 for voltage.if none found chase back to underhood pdc. Fuse also powers upstream nox if i remember right, u could verify 12v at the upstream nox.

Ty for the info, don't have truck at house at the moment or I'd check on that.

- update -
Took truck to a dealer shop today (I've took it there before and they seem to give me an ok price on labor/parts since I financed it through them, plus I need to get it back on the road asap to get some money coming in) - They checked fuses and plugged up to the j1989 connector on the engine harness with cables ran for it's own power and ground and weren't able to connect with the ECM so I'm not sure but it's looking like another ECM is gonna be needed... Not sure if cummins will give me a refund or not since I didn't get them to program it (big oof on my part) They said they'd test some other stuff on monday to confirm it is the ECM. If it is I'm just hoping there is a way to make sure it doesn't fry the next one... I mean 2 ECMs going bad doesn't seem like a coincidence, plus if it was a factory dud the guy I took it to that programmed it would've probably noticed something.

keep taking it to the stealers#it.. and wasting moneys endlessly on it.. and by the way...

I STOOD RIGHT INSIDE A STEALERS$IT RIGHT UP THE ROAD FROM MY HOUSE ONCE... And they told some poor bast$Ard that exact same story.. "they cannot talk to ecm".. so "you got a bad ecm"... and about 45 minutes later.. the tech admitted it was a problem with his laptop, or adapter.. and then refused to put the old ecm back onto a guys truck.. nailing him for about $2500 that he did not need at all!... THAT IS HOW GODDAMN STUPID THESE GUYS REALLY ARE!!... AND YOU ARE FEEDING THAT BEAST!.

MUST BE NICE TO BE RICH LIKE THAT!!.

(just being a bit sarcastic due to actually seeing someone get ripped off like this is all).

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Anderzhul , hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.