Air compressor slow to fill tanks.
08-29-2022, (Subject: Air compressor slow to fill tanks. ) 
Air compressor slow to fill tanks.
I have a KW T680 2016. It is an ex Walmart truck. Recently I have been concerned with my airbags taking too long to to fill up, and my air tanks taking too long to get to 125. Could it be the air compressor going bad? I also noticed that there was a little too much water in my air lines. I changed the air dryer filter and that worked for a couple of days, keeping my air lines more dry. I am just panicky about how long it should take for the psi to reach 125.
replyreply
RE: Air compressor slow to fill tanks.
How long does it take? Have you turned the key on and released your brakes to listen for leaks? You'll need to chock your wheels of course so you can walk around the truck listening. How many miles on the truck, does the compressor look to be original?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(08-29-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  How long does it take? Have you turned the key on and released your brakes to listen for leaks? You'll need to chock your wheels of course so you can walk around the truck listening. How many miles on the truck, does the compressor look to be original?

I don't have leaks. Checked that first. I even got a level 1 inspection last week, passed it. Miles 742,129. Compressor is an original piece.
replyreply
Belt and tensioner might be a place to start?
replyreply
I think the compressor life expectancy is around 800k. You very well could need a new one.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(08-29-2022 )hookliftpete Wrote:  Belt and tensioner might be a place to start?

I don't think this compressor uses a belt.
replyreply
(08-29-2022 )Southmost Wrote:  I have a KW T680 2016. It is an ex Walmart truck. Recently I have been concerned with my airbags taking too long to to fill up, and my air tanks taking too long to get to 125. Could it be the air compressor going bad? I also noticed that there was a little too much water in my air lines. I changed the air dryer filter and that worked for a couple of days, keeping my air lines more dry. I am just panicky about how long it should take for the psi to reach 125.

If water is getting in your air system then the air dryer/desicccant filter is bad. simple as that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-30-2022, (Subject: Air compressor slow to fill tanks. ) 
What rawze said…… also the outlet line from the compressor needs to be checked thoroughly, spray soapy water on it all the way to the dryer and look for bubbles, the heat from the compressor deteriorates them internally and the air will seep out all the way down the line.

Then you can bypass the air dryer by hooking both the big lines together (screw the fittings out the dryer and use a 1/2 inch pipe thread coupling to connect them together) and see if it will build air, if it will then the air dryer is the issue…. If not then you have a bad leak that you can’t hear or your compressor is bad.

To verify you don’t have a bad leak that you just can’t hear you can unhook the outlet line from the compressor and hook shop air to the line with the truck not running. There are check valves that allow the system to hold air with the engine not running, if there is a leak between the compressor and the check valves you won’t be able to hear it with the engine running if it’s bad enough and with the engine off it won’t leak.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM
08-30-2022, (Subject: Air compressor slow to fill tanks. ) 
(08-29-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-29-2022 )Southmost Wrote:  I have a KW T680 2016. It is an ex Walmart truck. Recently I have been concerned with my airbags taking too long to to fill up, and my air tanks taking too long to get to 125. Could it be the air compressor going bad? I also noticed that there was a little too much water in my air lines. I changed the air dryer filter and that worked for a couple of days, keeping my air lines more dry. I am just panicky about how long it should take for the psi to reach 125.

If water is getting in your air system then the air dryer + desicccan t filter is bad. simple as that.
Thank you for your response. Everyone was afraid to tell me this for some reason. They kept blaming everything else but the actual air dryer. I did replaced the air dryer filter last week, but that only solved the problem for a day.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.