Bigger steer tire
10-30-2016, (Subject: Bigger steer tire ) 
RE: Bigger steer tire
SBTrucking, I run Michelin 425/60R22.5's on 12.5" rims on my steer. I have a 20K steer axle that weighs out between 18,800 and 19,800 depending on how I am loaded. I have had this setup for almost six years with no issues. I run 95 psi in my steers. Not the max pressure listed on the side (130 psi). I do this because Michelins web site says to. If you buy wide base steers, or even 315's look on the manufactures website, find the load chart for the size and model you have. For example my 425's together are rated for 23K at 130psi, but at my weights of 18,8k to 19,8K Michelin says to run 95psi. A lower tire pressure does not hurt bearings, etc, etc. Too low of a pressure might, but again refer to the manufactures chart for the correct pressure, that will give you the best ride. Blowing them up to the max pressure will just beat the hell out of you.

I would say yes definitely the wider steer, when ran at the appropriate pressure will give you a better ride!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.