Exhaust back pressure?
09-02-2022, (Subject: Exhaust back pressure? ) 
Exhaust back pressure?
Hey everyone. I hope my question isn’t to ridiculous, but The company I work for has 4 sister trucks that are 2010 kenworth t660’s. They have a Cummins cm871 in them. They all have been de-mandated and now we are running into the issue of the egr cooler rupturing internally at the coolant passages. But because the company didn’t want to spend the full amount to have everything completely removed and blocked off. Now I need to remove it and make everything work. I have all the coolant tubes and everything except one piece… the exhaust manifold has the curve going to the egr cooler and that piece has the cast port for the line that goes to the exhaust back pressure sensor(the v shaped stainless steel line). Now my question is since I’ve bought the new exhaust manifold piece that no longer has the curve to the egr cooler and goes straight to the block, do I actually need to reuse the line? The factory Cummins replacement doesn’t have the exhaust pressure port molded into it unless I order the one from eBay. I’d like to just snip one end of the pressure line off and weld the end tight so I can use it as a plug basically that goes into the bottom of the exhaust back pressure port. Or will it not work how I think it should?? Any help is greatly appreciated!
replyreply
09-03-2022, (Subject: Exhaust back pressure? ) 
RE: Exhaust back pressure?
You definitely need your exhaust gas back pressure sensor to be operational. You absolutely do not want to run your engine without it. The easiest and most affordable way to accomplish what you are doing would be to weld thick plates into both ends of the egr cooler (to block exhaust gasses only) closed and plug the port for the pressure line in the cooler. This turns the entire egr cooler into a water jacket and keeps a factory look to keep the smoke police off your ass. It sounds to me like the kit/manifold you bought was for a non vgt conversion (which I also do not recommend).

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box and if you don’t completely understand what or how just ask some of us here….. before you spend a shi#t ton on parts, most of us will help or advise for free.

Also if someone has deleted that sensor you need to find someone that knows what the hell they are doing to fix your delete
replyreply
09-03-2022, (Subject: Exhaust back pressure? ) 
RE: Exhaust back pressure?
couple things need to be kept in mind...

A). coolant flow needs to be maintained to the back of the engine bloc, so removing the egr cooler should not be done unless a 3/4" line is adapted to replace its coolant circuit.

B). The exhaust gas pressure sensor is what that small pipe goes to. It is an important sensor for the engine and its efficiency. That circuit needs to be maintained as well.

so... if you put on the manifold front piece at cylinder#1, the same part that normally goes for cylinder#6, then either a bung needs to be welded in (after cutting it off the old manifold piece) to allow that pipe to be connected.. or you need one pre-made with the pipe bung connection.

last but not least.. .. you should be aware that more then 90%+ of all de-mandate programming is significantly harmful to these engines. You need to get the program copied out of that ecm and e-mailed to me for a proper review before continuing forward. It is as important as checking to see if you have sand in your oil and should not be taken lightly. It does not matter how you feel the engine runs, etc... because all the harm that happens does so over time inside the engine eating it up, and can cut engine life in half or less sometimes without the driver ever felling it until its far too late.

best bet is to simply replace the egr cooler, or weld thick plates into its ends so that the seepage cannot escape... that is what I would do in that situation. It is the easiest solution.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.