Rod and Main bearings
12-13-2022, (Subject: Rod and Main bearings ) 
RE: Rod and Main bearings
the pic of those main bearings looks like the box got smooshed or dropped from a distance. Hopefully they are not scarred or damaged. -= Personally, I would have taken them back, as they now looked deformed and will be a PIA to install above the crank if they do not want to easily bend back ... Maybe its just me, but I am picky that way on brand new parts.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-13-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  the pic of those main bearings looks like the box got smooshed or dropped from a distance. Hopefully they are not scarred or damaged. -= Personally, I would have taken them back, as they now looked deformed and will be a PIA to install above the crank if they do not want to easily bend back ... Maybe its just me, but I am picky that way on brand new parts.

No they were not damaged in any way. I think it's just the lighting/shadowing that created that look, but they are in good condition.
replyreply
(12-13-2022 )kozakvod Wrote:  
(12-13-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  the pic of those main bearings looks like the box got smooshed or dropped from a distance. Hopefully they are not scarred or damaged. -= Personally, I would have taken them back, as they now looked deformed and will be a PIA to install above the crank if they do not want to easily bend back ... Maybe its just me, but I am picky that way on brand new parts.

No they were not damaged in any way. I think it's just the lighting/shadowing that created that look, but they are in good condition.

If you are installing these bearings yourself, I would pick up this brass punch set, unless you already have one. They will not damage the bearings when you are working them into place. Sometimes they need a little tap from a hammer, just a very very light tap. https://amzn.to/3Pte97b
And a few bottles of Ultra Slick... Use lots of it, apply very liberally to the bearing when installing, best to have someone do it for you and hand you the bearing. Grasp the bearings at their ends or sides, not the actual bearing surface. https://amzn.to/3VVuML3
And I would let the truck sit overnight after removing the pan... Throw some large pieces of cardboard under motor to catch the oil that is going to drip out. Messy job. ;-)

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
I noticed that every one, all 6, of these rod bearing lobes have this nitch or notch in them. Is this actually correct or a batch production error?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
(12-13-2022 )Waterloo Wrote:  If you are installing these bearings yourself, I would pick up this brass punch set

Waterloo no I'm not going to tackle this one myself. I have zero experience of anything remotely like this so I'm going to sit this one out. Thank you for the info though. I watched Rawze's video of doing this job, but having no help at all and no experience at all I'm afraid I'd destroy my engine.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(12-13-2022 )kozakvod Wrote:  I noticed that every one, all 6, of these rod bearing lobes have this nitch or notch in them. Is this actually correct or a batch production error?

So I went through literally everyone of them and they're all the same so I'm going to assume at this point that is an intentional design.

Moving on.
replyreply
12-14-2022, (Subject: Rod and Main bearings ) 
(12-13-2022 )kozakvod Wrote:  
(12-13-2022 )kozakvod Wrote:  I noticed that every one, all 6, of these rod bearing lobes have this nitch or notch in them. Is this actually correct or a batch production error?

So I went through literally everyone of them and they're all the same so I'm going to assume at this point that is an intentional design.

Moving on.

yes, that is intentional.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
12-15-2022, (Subject: Rod and Main bearings ) 
Also you could have cracked style or saw cut rods and they do use a different bearing. You need to verify you get the correct. Rod bearings for the style of rod you have
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.