CM870 won’t start when engines hot
09-08-2022, (Subject: CM870 won’t start when engines hot ) 
CM870 won’t start when engines hot
Recently my 2006 International with a 400HP CM870 has been having starting issues. In the morning when cold it starts up but idles rough for about 5 seconds and then runs fine. Today I turned the engine off after hauling for a few hours and cooling water temp down to 180 and tried to restart about 5 minutes later and it turned over fine but would not fire. I ended up using a shot or two of starting fluid and it fired up, ran rough for about 10 seconds and then ran fine down the road fully loaded. Later In the afternoon I was pulling onto the scale at the pit and the truck started idling rough and died. I managed to fire the truck back up barely and it skipped and sputtered but got me off the scale then died again. I waited 45 minutes and tried to start again, I cranked
On the engine hard and it fired up, idled rough for a few seconds and then ran perfect until the engine temp came back up and died again. I think it’s obviously a fueling issue but where should I start with my trouble shooting ? The electric lift pump sounds strong when you turn the key on and my fuel filters are brand new.
replyreply
09-08-2022, (Subject: CM870 won’t start when engines hot ) 
RE: CM870 won’t start when engines hot
Any check engine light? Seen everything from injectors to an oring on a davco cause this. I would probably start by making sure there isnt an issue at the davco ( assuming you have one). Check for fuel leaks, verify fuel pressure when cranking, running, and while giving the problem, check for air in fuel……. That is if you are 100% positive that it is a fuel problem.

Also are the fuel filters new as in you put them on yesterday and your trucks taking a shi#t on you today? Or new as in you changed them after the issue began? May be somewhere you wanna check.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
09-09-2022, (Subject: CM870 won’t start when engines hot ) 
The things that Bengy88 said.

It can also be the shut-off solenoid starting to go bad. Removing its guts and running without it for a few days would tell you if that was the issue. The engine should run fine and also shut down just fine with the shut-off solenoid guts removed. It is only used as a safety back-up and not for actually shutting off the engine. -c If the engine does not shut off properly with the guts removed then you have a leaky fueling solenoid.

And lastly, there is a 0.008" bleed-off orifice in the IFSM (integrated fuel system module) just for preventing hard-starts like what you are describing while the engine is hot. If it clogs up then it will do what you describe. here is a post from a long time ago that talks about it: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid44656

as far as the rough stumble ... make sure the engine also passes an injector leak test with flying colors: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid72957

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , hhow55
09-09-2022, (Subject: CM870 won’t start when engines hot ) 
Sorry I forgot to mention I did get a low fuel pressure code. Thanks for all your help, I’ll get started and keep you posted.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.

Theme by MyBB Addict
Contact Us | Rawze.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication