Main, rod bearing and oil pump
09-06-2016, (Subject: Main, rod bearing and oil pump ) 
RE: Main, rod bearing and oil pump
(09-06-2016 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  I don't know why guys are reluctant to shim the oil pump, another 10 psi will help, not hurt the engine.
15 psi at idle is too low. 30 psi running down the road, too low.
80 psi cold, something's wrong. Sending unit may be on the way out. May want to get a mechanical gauge teed on it to check.

I get a warm and fuzzy feeling looking a 45 psi knowing everything is alright under the lid.
That ain't oil son, it's blood. Yours if it isn't right.

How many dimes did you use?

You would have to ask Gearhead. I think he had slugs machined. Getting about 25 idle(700),30 @800 rpm. Oil temp 200 hot. Touch the throttle and it jumps right up.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(09-06-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  i would be REPLACING the oil pump, SHIMMING the new pump, PLASTIGAUGING all the rods/main, replacing the bypass valve aswell.

I second that, and as well, be looking at the top end to see if there is excess wear in the bearings for the rockers,..and make sure you don't have a spun bearing in one of the overhead cams while you are at it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(09-06-2016 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote:  I don't know why guys are reluctant to shim the oil pump, another 10 psi will help, not hurt the engine.
15 psi at idle is too low. 30 psi running down the road, too low.
80 psi cold, something's wrong. Sending unit may be on the way out. May want to get a mechanical gauge teed on it to check.

I get a warm and fuzzy feeling looking a 45 psi knowing everything is alright under the lid.
That ain't oil son, it's blood. Yours if it isn't right.

I couldn't agree more. It's the single most comforting thing I've done to my motor to date.

(09-06-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  How many dimes did you use?

I used 7, I would recommend 8 or 9. AFTER plastigauging the rods & mains and an thorough overhead inspection as advised by others. I agree with the advise of installing a mechanical gauge for sending unit verification, 80 at start up is way too erratic to seem reListic.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I have been thinking about the oil bypass valve for our 2250 that Cummins had us replace as a cure to the fuel pump problem. It is a one piece design with o'rings where you just remove the original piston and spring at the oil filter housing and insert.

Is it me or does it seem that it is way to small and fits extremely sloppy in the galley. Cummins said it is good to go, but I didn't trust it from day one.

I also suffer the low oil pressure and replaced mains and put 8 dimes in bypass. Engine has 197,000 miles, now I feel better that rod won't exit block and I picked up 8lbs. pressure when hot. Now 40- 37 is the new normal.
replyreply
09-07-2016, (Subject: Main, rod bearing and oil pump ) 
I found the problem it was the shim I didn't align it right. It moved on me and was spilling oil from it. Now for shimming the oil pump I've done it to all my truck I just wanted to get a base line so I now how much it would go up to. But since I had the pan of again I shimmed it 8 dimes idle at 21 running loaded 45 going up hill load 41. live and learn first time doing main and rod bearing on a semi. But thanks everyone for you help and advice
replyreply
Has anyone experience with the shimmed oil pump in the winter time ? What would be the pressure readings at cold start below freezing temp ? In summer time, my gauge shows 41 psi till the temperature hits 100-120F and that's a stock oil pump. What do you think?
replyreply
(09-07-2016 )Sergiu Wrote:  Has anyone experience with the shimmed oil pump in the winter time ? What would be the pressure readings at cold start below freezing temp ? In summer time, my gauge shows 41 psi till the temperature hits 100-120F and that's a stock oil pump. What do you think?

Not yet Sergiu, but being from Canada it will be colder here soon. You can bet that I'll be sharing that info as soon as I can.
From previous experience working on the ice roads in the arctic with atypical 15/40 there was no discernible difference down to -55*C/-67*F unless the wind was blowing hard enough to stop all work (>35mph), so I'm not expecting to notice much more than a 1 maybe 2 psi increase...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
What gets me is the 80 PSI at first. Something is wrong for sure with pump. DID any one try and shim it? I have saw a few cases where someone installed the end plug on the oil pump backwards and it will do some crazy stuff like that.
The oil hole in the middle goes towards the pump....
replyreply
(09-07-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  What gets me is the 80 PSI at first. Something is wrong for sure with pump. DID any one try and shim it? I have saw a few cases where someone installed the end plug on the oil pump backwards and it will do some crazy stuff like that.
The oil hole in the middle goes towards the pump....
@ mr hagg
The pump is new what I'm thinking is it would compress air in the system and it would go to 80 psi for 1 second and come back down to 35 psi when it bleed the system out.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.