Block cutting, specific to ISX/X
09-28-2022, (Subject: Block cutting, specific to ISX/X ) 
RE: Block cutting, specific to ISX/X
(09-28-2022 )dericson Wrote:  What’s happening folks.

Have an odd question that I think I’m overthinking. Typically cut counterbores on midrange blocks. Have a buddy looking to cut his x15 block. I’m not looking on advice on the hot topic about brass vs ss shims. But I was recently talking to a guy and he said he adds a ss shim to the bottom of a captive shim factory installed on the liner (the one with the tangs that point downwards. Book says factory installed captive shims and a service shim can’t be used together I thought. He brainf*cked me on that one. I’ve heard of stacking service shims but never captive/brass or ss shims together. I know big bore and small bore liners either have a factory captive shim or do not. Thoughts?

Also, if you do not raise the liner height above factory, you are not going to extend the engines life by very much any ways.

There is a lot to be done that is "not in the book" of you want a quality build for all the moneys spent. You want a proper million mile build.. then you have to do all this stuffs...

ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid70606

I have never had an issue with using more than one shim (the one that comes on the new liner + a cummins hardened brass shim (or ss shims as second choice) to raise the liner height with.

Also, bad delete programming (and/or lugging the engine to death below 1500rpm its whole life) is the #1,#2 reason they dance in the block to begin with. If that thing has a delete programming it then it needs to be copied out of the ecm and e-mailed to me for a proper review to ensure it is not going to shorten the engine life or contribute towards another failure.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Block cutting, specific to ISX/X - Rawze - 09-28-2022

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.