List of topics that Rawze can teach others ...
09-29-2022, (Subject: List of topics that Rawze can teach others ... ) 
List of topics that Rawze can teach others ...
Here is the current list of topics that I typically teach others when they get together with me on my mumble server, or when they come over to learn engine programming. - Just listing them here for reference...

* 1. Connect to ecm with insite and...
- a. Create and Restore template/backups of the ecm vehicle settings using Cummins Insite Software.
- b. Flash a new calibration into ecm using Insite.
- c. Learn how to do injector leak test, calibrate turbo, cylinder cut-out tests, etc.
- d. Update injector trim codes if necessary.
- e. Learn how to Determine if ecm regen history is ok.
- f. Learn how to Determine what device is causing a 0285 or 0286 faults.
- g. Check how the engine is being used or abused.
- h. Look at Audit trail to see of someone has altered settings.

* 2. Understanding the engine ...
- a. Matching Programming to Hardware.
- b. Acceptable Power/Torque ratings.
- c. Torque rating vs. Engine Lifespan and optimal RPM ranges for high load output.
- d. Proper Fuel-Air-Mix Ranges, expected oil temps and E.G.T.'s.
- e. Trapped vs. escaping heat during the combustion process.
- f. Understanding Pilot, Main, and Post injection cycles on common rail systems.
- g. Understanding and controlling internal engine friction.
- h. Understanding Injection timing, Final CA., and acceptable operating ranges for a given model engine.
- i. Effects of different compression ratios on injection timing, fuel-air mix, boost, etc.

* 3. Understanding the ECM's internal circuit/logic design ...
- a. Managers and circuits.
- b.Engine Operating Mode Control and what drives it.
- c. Engine Operating Modes and their purpose.
- d. Emissions systems and fall-back emissions systems.
- e. NOx, NH3, and other engine limiters based on emissions.
- f. The Dozens of Ramp Rate Accel and Decel limiters.
- g. The Dozens of other fuel limiters and their purpose.
- h. Auto-corrections that will happen to the fuel-air-mix, injection timing, and the overall combustion process.

* 4. Using Calterm ...
- a. Choose the ecm product type and correct ecfg.
- b. Connecting to the ecm.
- c. Upload/Download an ecm image.
- d. vehicle settings (Insite), Flash a blank Calibration into the ecm (Calterm), then restore the vehicle settings(Insite).
- e. Open data monitor windows while connected to the ecm.
- f. Using Overrides to troubleshoot and/or manually control engine components.
- g. Creating monitoring screens and Monitoring important ecm data. Determining what the ecm is doing in detail.
- h. The basics of Opening and editing Calibration files.
- i. applying an Overlay to a file.
- j. Copy settings and tables to/from Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.
- k. Adjust on boost or other tables.
- l. Document a calibration, converting the entire program into plain English format for proper editing.
- m. Performing compares between calibration files.
- n. Learning how to read the Calibration data via the different managers and systems.
- o. Learning how to identify and review bad/improper delete programming that is harmful to the engine.
- p. Ways to ensure a Calibration is correct for a particular CPL or vehicle.
- q. Learning how to edit Calibrations in various ways, such as turning on/off derates, shutdowns, and various other things on a basic level.
- r. Walking your way through an entire calibration for a deeper understanding of how the ecm works, or to create a custom engine file from scratch.
- s. How to create your own custom files and overlays, and why you would do so.

* 5. Digging into .xcal file structures ...
- a. Gathering info from the header.
- b. File structure Layout, dynamic file data storage, and the ITN/Matt (TOC).
- c. Block Data Structure and Black Data Structure Contents.
- d. Table sizes vs. ecfg table sizes.
- e. Various Data types and scaling.
- f. The Hidden Fault Code lookup table.
- g. CRC Checksum of engine files.

* 6. Digging into .ecfg file structures ...
- a. File structure Layout, dynamic file data references, scaling, and table size corrections.
- b. Altering or building new ecfg files to more closely match a given calibration.
- c. Using multiple ecfg files to edit engine files that ecfg's are not availiable for.

my mumble server...
ref>: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...260#pid260

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , hookliftpete , NDISX15 , SquareOne , Waterloo , Bengy88 , amermextrucker
09-29-2022, (Subject: List of topics that Rawze can teach others ... ) 
RE: List of topics that Rawze can teach others ...
This is why I do not let the average "custom tuner" gaggle of idiots to hang out on here. None of them seem to get the fact that it takes a whole lot of knowledge to get, and do things right. Copying files and poking around in stuff they have no clue about is all most of them seem to be doing. This results in a whole lot of false confidence and engines that suffer shortened lifespans in the end.

Mastering most of the subjects listed above is what it takes to become an effective, reliable custom engine programmer. Anything less, and you are just going to do nothing but tear things up and cause a whole lot of grief, failed engines, etc. in the trucking industry, and to me, that is unacceptable.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , hookliftpete , MCRENT , SquareOne , hhow55 , Waterloo , Bengy88
11-26-2022, (Subject: List of topics that Rawze can teach others ... ) 
I certainly have learned a lot and value the knowledge.

I wonder how many migraines I have given Rawze with my slow uptake!
replyreply
(11-26-2022 )navycuda Wrote:  I certainly have learned a lot and value the knowledge.

I wonder how many migraines I have given Rawze with my slow uptake!

No headaches. - I enjoy our conversations.

- I do have to say though that you are the only person so far that I have met that wants to learn and work with the actual internal raw file and structure of engine files themselves in great detail.

It takes a serious amount of dedication to one's own vehicle to want to take things that far just to untangle the huge mess that someone else has made with it in its past. You seem to be caught up in this stuffs full force and enjoy it. I would imagine though that once you are done with that project of your own, you will not be able to put the stuff down, because at the end of the day, there are plenty of others out there who are in your same situation.

replyreply
You left off cooking salmon... Just saying. ;-)

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(11-26-2022 )Waterloo Wrote:  You left off cooking salmon... Just saying. ;-)

you can come by any time. you are considered family to us. I will cook you some fishies, no problem.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker , Waterloo
Rawze sure likes to cook , I learned how to make my own BBQ sauce on my visit , went for a cruise and slammed some brews . Had a good time hanging out with him and his family. Nice people.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
Programming Arduino's with C++. Rawze showed me how to use it to make a led blink a certain color/brightness. Also witnessing the beginning stages of the turbo actuator test tool Rawze made using the same parts and software to communicate and eventually command it was mind-blowingly awesome.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
11-27-2022, (Subject: List of topics that Rawze can teach others ... ) 
(11-26-2022 )marek4792 Wrote:  Programming Arduino's with C++. Rawze showed me how to use it to make a led blink a certain color/brightness. Also witnessing the beginning stages of the turbo actuator test tool Rawze made using the same parts and software to communicate and eventually command it was mind-blowingly awesome.

It still blows me away at what he has going on between his ears, I learned a lot in my time with him. Really made a difference in my life in regards to problem solving, something clicked in my head. You are never to old...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792 , amermextrucker , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.