Rebuild kit question
10-05-2022, (Subject: Rebuild kit question ) 
Rebuild kit question
I went onto Quickserv to see which kit I would need to do inframe. But it's telling me there is an option for 150 and 152 liners. I figured Quickserv would know by my ESN which one I would need but I guess not.
So I called Kenworth and asked the parts guy how I could tell which one I need and he says "you gotta measure it!!"
So, I said well...I'd kinda like to know which one before I start tearing anything down....just in case they're backordered for months.
He says "yeah I suppose that makes sense...but you'll have to call back when other guys are in. They might know how to figure it out"
Figured I'd come on here and see if there's a way to know WITHOUT tearing apart the engine?
Thanks
replyreply
RE: Rebuild kit question
I don't think there is a way. You can tell once they are pulled out without measuring like the color of the o ring but that doesn't help you. I'd have them check for both kits for availability.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Skman
O-ring color or with the pan off you can ... {Part of post removed by Rawze --- unconfirmed/unreliable info}.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Skman
10-06-2022, (Subject: Rebuild kit question ) 
Order both and return the ones you don't need.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
without pulling a liner out... there is no way to tell.

And just for curiosity sake.. most stealers#its will demand the entire overhaul kit be returned if you ordered the wrong one.. they will not typically swap out the liners only... as it screws up- their inventory count in their computer systems.

Best thing to do is NOT order the overhaul kit until you have a liner out of it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Skman
(10-06-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  without pulling a liner out... there is no way to tell.

And just for curiosity sake.. most stealers#its will demand the entire overhaul kit be returned if you ordered the wrong one.. they will not typically swap out the liners only... as it screws up- their inventory count in their computer systems.

Best thing to do is NOT order the overhaul kit until you have a liner out of it.

That's crazy that they can tell me the injector codes from the original injectors on Quickserve but yet they cant tell which liners were installed.
I guess I'll check on availability for each before I do anything.
Is there any aftermarket kit that you would recommend if a person needed to go that way??
replyreply
(10-05-2022 )Skman Wrote:  I went onto Quickserv to see which kit I would need to do inframe. But it's telling me there is an option for 150 and 152 liners. I figured Quickserv would know by my ESN which one I would need but I guess not.
So I called Kenworth and asked the parts guy how I could tell which one I need and he says "you gotta measure it!!"
So, I said well...I'd kinda like to know which one before I start tearing anything down....just in case they're backordered for months.
He says "yeah I suppose that makes sense...but you'll have to call back when other guys are in. They might know how to figure it out"
Figured I'd come on here and see if there's a way to know WITHOUT tearing apart the engine?
Thanks

Is this your first ISX rebuild? There are A LOT of things that you will need to know that aren't in the manual so I would advise you do your homework if you want the rebuild to last.

Answering your question: there is absolutely no way to know which liners you have until you pull them. Second, there is are ZERO aftermarket kits you should buy. You might as well not rebuild it unless you're going OEM only AND you are installing a brand new head (no reman, no rebuild). Third, you need to have someone cut counterbores properly and shim them to 15 thousandths. There's a lot more but Im trying not to write a book here. Good luck with your build!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Skman
(10-06-2022 )Skman Wrote:  
(10-06-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  without pulling a liner out... there is no way to tell.

That's crazy that they can tell me the injector codes from the original injectors on Quickserve but yet they cant tell which liners were installed.
I guess I'll check on availability for each before I do anything.
Is there any aftermarket kit that you would recommend if a person needed to go that way??

no aftermarket kits...

Also, not only will you not know what liners.. vbut there is a 15% chance that you may have an odd-sized bearing randomly in the engine too.. so as things come apart.. mark and measure, and verify part#'s as each bearing and component comes out. Otherwise, you may regret it deeply when you get it all back together and realize it has lower then normal oil pressures, or some other anomaly that was not accounted for.

As well, no matter what, like mentioned above.. counter-bored, and all the things that are not in the manual.. plus the wrist pin bushings need to be replaced.. or the rods themselves. Otherwise it will not be a million mile build.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-06-2022 )Poundtowne Wrote:  
(10-05-2022 )Skman Wrote:  I went onto Quickserv to see which kit I would need to do inframe. But it's telling me there is an option for 150 and 152 liners. I figured Quickserv would know by my ESN which one I would need but I guess not.
Thanks

Is this your first ISX rebuild? There are A LOT of things that you will need to know that aren't in the manual so I would advise you do your homework if you want the rebuild to last.

Answering your question: there is absolutely no way to know which liners you have until you pull them. Second, there is are ZERO aftermarket kits you should buy. You might as well not rebuild it unless you're going OEM only AND you are installing a brand new head (no reman, no rebuild). Third, you need to have someone cut counterbores properly and shim them to 15 thousandths. There's a lot more but Im trying not to write a book here. Good luck with your build!

No I had an out of frame done on this engine. It lasted just over half million miles so far...all at heavy weight (150k pounds). But it just started pushing antifreeze the other day so I'm preparing for the worst case scenario.
It might just be the head and gasket...not sure yet. I did hook up a hose to the cap on the overflow side of coolant tank and eventually started bubbling.
Oil pressure was good but oil temps and coolant temps were a little higher than usual a few days before it started. The fan was coming on more often because the coolant would climb up pretty quick. No white smoke or anything.
It's in the shop now to get looked at. He was just checking the simple things like compressor first before the head comes off.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.