CM871 Oil sample help
01-31-2024, (Subject: CM871 Oil sample help ) 
RE: CM871 Oil sample help
(01-31-2024 )MommaBurt Wrote:  i've seen similar samples and people said it was the air compressor. idk how old yours is or anything, just what i've heard.
Thanks, That is something I can look into. My compressor could be original as I only have 140k on the truck. I was thinking of replacing the head because of a small amount of coolant a may find in the wet tank from time to time. Maybe it is worth changing the whole thing to see if the gear is damaged. Or maybe I should just remove to inspect? Thanks
replyreply
01-31-2024, (Subject: CM871 Oil sample help ) 
(01-31-2024 )MSPOIRIER Wrote:  
(01-31-2024 )Aussie Steve Wrote:  I've just reread your initial post. Plain bearings can and will make the squaking noise you talk of if they are seizing. maybe your engine has spun a white metal bearing in a timing gear?

Thank you for looking so in depth at this and giving a good response. I think Front cover gears is the only other thing I can think of. I am going to look into quickserve and see what the procedure looks like. I was assured at the dealer that any problems with the gears and it would be more noticeable but I'm not sure either way. As for silicon, it will be a constant battle in my industry operating quite a bit off road but I do pay attention to air filter conditions. I am going to continue to sample to create a trend but maybe It would be smart to sample based on hours and not milage as I average under 50 miles per day? Thanks

I sample oils and change them based on HRS only, this includes diffs and gearboxes of trucks.
We have 5 prime movers in our fleet plus about 18 items of earthmoving equipment. Some of the trucks towing water carts for road construction might only do 40 000 klm for the year but 1200 - 1500 hrs for the same time period. The X15 we have can push the oil change to 500 hrs but is changed at 250. I feel this is cheap insurance.
replyreply
02-01-2024, (Subject: CM871 Oil sample help ) 
(01-31-2024 )Aussie Steve Wrote:  ...
I sample oils and change them based on HRS only
The X15 we have can push the oil change to 500 hrs but is changed at 250. I feel this is cheap insurance.

Just adding to the conversation here ...

Oil sampling is a good troubleshooting tool to identify issues, but it should not be relied on for determining oil change intervals. Doing an oil sample at every oil change and sending it off can be a bit of a waste of moneys unless they tracking some specific trends or using the data for some reason, like how a particular brand of oil is performing, etc.

I.E.> Its useful info, but don't believe all you see with that oil sampling. Here is why ...

Oil sampling alone will not show separation and a few other things. I see a lot of people get caught up in that false game of "change it based on sampling alone" for the purpose of trying to save moneys on oil changes.

Someone should NEVER rely solely on oil sampling for oil change intervals. That is a quick way to shorten the life of the engine.

Believe me.. I have seen it way too many times over the 30+ years of my career, and again with these engines, of people doing this and ending up with lots of expensive problems.

As far as vehicles and the engine oil goes, the best someone can get for oil change intervals (balancing longevity vs. cost of oil changes) is going to be doing so based on average fuel mileage (or fuel consumed per hour for engines that PTO a lot, etc.). This is because there is a direct correlation between how hard you work your engine vs. how long the oil lasts and/or separates, etc.

What I mean by balancing longevity vs. costs is that there is an optimum point where changing oil more often does not mean you get any more life from the engine as a whole.

Change oil too often, and it simply costs someone more without any engine longevity benefits.
.. or ..
Don't change it often enough vs. its fuel consumption, and the little moneys someone saved in the long run is far less than its now costing them to pull that engine apart sooner than it should have.

Its a balancing act where there is an actual optimum, so that operating costs, and/ or effort is not wasted.

For an ISX ... including that X15, here are the numbers...

Quote:If your average fuel mileage every 10,000 miles is ...

less than 5 MG -- Change your oil every 8,000 miles or so.

5 - 6 MPG -- Change your oil every 10,000 - 12,000 miles or so.

6 - 7 MPG -- Change your oil every 12,000 - 15,000 miles or so.

7 - 8 MPG -- Change your oil every 15,000 - 18,000 miles or so.

8 - 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 18,000 - 22,000 miles or so.

above 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 22,000 - 28,000 miles or so.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...617#pid617

.. So... This means that the 500 hour interval (that is close to what the factory would recommends to make the mega-fleets happy) is absolutely ridiculous!>.. and would only be for a bobtail truck not hauling any freight!.

And ...NO ... Using synthetic oils does not extend this at all.

===

All that aside, .. even so ... The most well cared for ISX's (not abused, and all care + all preventative maintenance done correctly) will always end up needing an inframe due to non-lubricated components any ways.
here are some more words on this: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid76425

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.