wiggly mirrors
09-07-2016, (Subject: wiggly mirrors ) 
wiggly mirrors
I used to drive Internationals at Pepsi and it seems they all have wiggly mirrors after awhile. Anybody have a fix for this? My driver side mirror is almost useless as it wiggles down the road. The fleet shop at Pepsi fixed it by drilling a hole through the mirror bracket bar at the door connector and putting a bolt in there to tighten. I dont want to do this to my truck.
replyreply
RE: wiggly mirrors
There are many fixes for those, different depending on which truck model you have. Post a pic for the best replies.
replyreply
The nlyon/plastic strut, the slide out type wear out from vibration. If someone backs into your mirror you want it to pop out. Instead of a steel bolt my first thought was a nylon bolt that would shear.
I could never get the shop to fix them to my satisfaction, because they're expensive to replace.
So much for an expensive all inclusive maintenance lease, our ryder shop sucks!

My solution was a layer of 5 minute epoxy applied to the end to tighten up the gap.
LET IT DRY FIRST! Sand to fit tight.

More than once I had a trooper grab them to see how tight they where (NY State) so they knew it was a problem. It is a safety issue if you can't see clearly in your mirrors
When I started driving, in the stone age, vibrating mirrors were standard equipment and the least of your problems, like keeping your wrists from going numb,getting knocked out from hitting your head on the door jam or ceiling to name a few.

I laugh everytime I think of my father in law telling me
"You guys have it easy, you have doors and heat!"
Check out a 1924 Mack and you'll know what he means.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
My prostar had very bad mirror vibration. what I did was take a zip tie and jam it in the breakaway support and the tab it slides in to, then cut off excess. basically shimmer it snug.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Zip ties, duct tape and bailing wire. 3 of the greatest inventions in the last 100 years!
No self respecting redneck would leave home without them!

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
"Zip ties, duct tape and bailing wire. 3 of the greatest inventions in the last 100 years!"

What's the old saying? If it moves and it's not supposed to use duct tape. If it's supposed to move and it doesn't use WD40.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
I just used a hose clamp around the joint. Worked like a charm and haven't come loose again.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.