Pressure testing 871
09-08-2016, (Subject: Pressure testing 871 ) 
Pressure testing 871
I'm pressure testing a 871 for coolant loss.
I have coolant coming out of the oil strainer.
I've never seen this befor so I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what I'm dealing with. Thanks in advance.
replyreply
09-09-2016, (Subject: Pressure testing 871 ) 
RE: Pressure testing 871
Which side of the engine? Do you mean the crankcase fitler housing or oil cooler?

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
What strainer? If you mean a bypass filter or a crankcase filter you might have a blown oil cooler core. If your oil is milky and there is sludge on your radiator and oil fill caps that will be the issue. Do not work your truck with coolant in the oil - You'll washout your bearings and lose oil pressure.
replyreply
Further testing is showing coolant coming from around #4 crank bearing, I can't see it coming from above the piston rod or the sleeve area so I think I'm dealing with a oil cooler.
The pick up tube has coolant coming from it to.
Any thoughts?
replyreply
(09-09-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  Further testing is showing coolant coming from around #4 crank bearing, I can't see it coming from above the piston rod or the sleeve area so I think I'm dealing with a oil cooler.
The pick up tube has coolant coming from it to.
Any thoughts?

Coolant coming from the pickup tube is most likely oil cooler. You could likely remove oil filter and see if it is coming out of there too?. I think that would give you a better idea so that your not pushing coolant into the entire oil system if it is the cooler.

coolant around the crank bearing could be a different issue though. who knows. It sounds like you will need to inspect/replace rod/main bearings at the very least. Just be safe and do not try to pull too many main bearings at once.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I would go for the oil cooler first. The coolant comming from the pickup is the oil cooler for sure.
replyreply
The truck has 830,000 miles, no mandate. The customer is talking about inframe.
Seems to run well but with that many miles I'm wondering if it may be time for it.
replyreply
What does the coolant look like? Generally you'll have more oil in coolant than coolant in oil because the oil is under more pressure where they come into contact.
replyreply
Coolant is contaminated with oil but not bad.
The truck just started boiling over on overfill tank. Less than 3,000 miles ago. Oil sample shows coolant in oil but when I drained it, I got less than half a gallon.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.