oil temp hot
09-09-2016, (Subject: oil temp hot ) 
oil temp hot
own 09 prostar with isx cummins . oil temp running 230 degrees water stays at 180 when pulling oil runs up to 250.
pulled oil thermostate thinking it was sticking still climbs even without a load. oil runs 200 at idle. no water loss or oil usage. water never gets above 200 even on loaded pulling (any ideas)
replyreply
RE: oil temp hot
(09-09-2016 )garrett5150 Wrote:  own 09 prostar with isx cummins . oil temp running 230 degrees water stays at 180 when pulling oil runs up to 250.
pulled oil thermostate thinking it was sticking still climbs even without a load. oil runs 200 at idle. no water loss or oil usage. water never gets above 200 even on loaded pulling (any ideas)

Is the emissions system still in tact? Age of engine, Miles? etc?

* It is normal for it to be about 35 degrees above the water temp.

* Oil is supposed to be above 215 degrees to prevent oxidation and moisture buildup.

* Removing the oil thermostat will bypass the oil cooler, making it run hotter than it should.

=========

Next time, instead of mucking around and pulling out the thermostat,... Just change it with a brand new one. That way you aren't wasting your time having to take it all apart again.

I call it Jumping over a dollar to save a dime,.. that is no way to own a truck!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
it didn't change when oil thermostat was removed. emissions ok per cummins. year is 2009 with 750,000 miles. it just started doing this all at once been great until about a month ago
replyreply
(09-09-2016 )garrett5150 Wrote:  it didn't change when oil thermostat was removed. emissions ok per cummins. year is 2009 with 750,000 miles. it just started doing this all at once been great until about a month ago

if the old thermostat was sticking "OPEN" then removing it will NOT CHANGE YOUR PROBLEM!!! --- AFTER ALL THE EFFORT TO GET TO IT AND REMOVE IT!!!---- YOU SHOULD HAVE PUT A NEW ONE IN IT! AND NOT TRYING TO JUMP OVER A DOLLAR TO SAVE A DIME!. That is no way to run a trucking buisness!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I took the thermostat out thinking it was sticking closed did not have new one available at the time it's not that hard to remove and replace just looking for possible ideas as what to try next to figure out what is wrong. been in business for 44 years not bad for a farm boy and all ready paid cummins to much money trying to find the cause.
replyreply
Plugged up oil cooler?
replyreply
I thought I might have to pull that off
thanks for the answer
replyreply
(09-09-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 )garrett5150 Wrote:  own 09 prostar with isx cummins . oil temp running 230 degrees water stays at 180 when pulling oil runs up to 250.

Is the emissions system still in tact? Age of engine, Miles? etc?

* It is normal for it to be about 35 degrees above the water temp.

* Oil is supposed to be above 215 degrees to prevent oxidation and moisture buildup.

* Removing the oil thermostat will bypass the oil cooler, making it run hotter than it should.

=========

Next time, instead of mucking around and pulling out the thermostat,... Just change it with a brand new one. That way you aren't wasting your time having to take it all apart again.

I call it Jumping over a dollar to save a dime,.. that is no way to own a truck!.

Actually,Rawze,remember in the video the cooler IS bypassed until the thermost is 'opened', at 230F at which point the oil is allowed to flow through the cooler

User's Signature: 36-25-34
replyreply
09-10-2016, (Subject: oil temp hot ) 
(09-09-2016 )trucklogger2 Wrote:  Actually,Rawze,remember in the video the cooler IS bypassed until the thermost is 'opened', at 230F at which point the oil is allowed to flow through the cooler

I think you need to watch the video more closely (at 1:38 in the video)...

Removing the thermostat WILL BYPASS THE OIL COOLER, MAKING IT RUN HOTTER!. The Thermostat stuck "OPEN" will do the same thing.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.