CM 2250 wiring harness
11-16-2022, (Subject: CM 2250 wiring harness ) 
CM 2250 wiring harness
I am in the middle of retrofit. I have removed a CAT 3406E out of my 97 Peterbilt 367 and have installed an ISX 15 ( CM 2250 ) that came out of a 2012 KW T800. I am hoping that someone knows of a stand alone wiring harness that I can just install that is “ plug and play”. Or do I need to build my own? I have the complete donor truck that the ISX came out of and have made sure not to cut any wires but rather just found the plugs and disconnected them.

Thank you
replyreply
RE: CM 2250 wiring harness
(11-16-2022 )BigHarvey56 Wrote:  I am in the middle of retrofit. I have removed a CAT 3406E out of my 97 Peterbilt 367 and have installed an ISX 15 ( CM 2250 ) that came out of a 2012 KW T800. I am hoping that someone knows of a stand alone wiring harness that I can just install that is “ plug and play”. Or do I need to build my own? I have the complete donor truck that the ISX came out of and have made sure not to cut any wires but rather just found the plugs and disconnected them.

Thank you

Kustom truck would probably be your best bet. They do great with harnesses to swap different engines but on average they range between 4-5k a piece.
replyreply
As stated Kustom Truck will build you a harness for a price, They have one listed on there website for $2950. I have done a repower already by taking the harness from the donor truck then pull the pins from the plug and install them in the proper position in the plug for the repower truck. You'll need diagrams for both trucks to know what wire goes where. In your case there if the Pete was hardwired to the controls you will need a harness with all the wires for each switch and the donor harness would not be of much value as that truck communicated mostly by can bus, Then you would need to build most of the harness from scratch or have Kustom Truck build one. That being said I do not know anything about how the Pete was wired. In my opinion it would not be hard to build the harness as you already have the plug for the ECM from the donor truck harness and you have the truck end plug from the original harness, it would depend if you have the tools to crimp whatever type of terminals onto the wires for the plugs you have. Also if you that engine gets all the controls hardwired you will need to use Insite turn multiplexing off in the ECM.
replyreply
(11-16-2022 )BigHarvey56 Wrote:  I am in the middle of retrofit. I have removed a CAT 3406E out of my 97 Peterbilt 367 and have installed an ISX 15 ( CM 2250 ) that came out of a 2012 KW T800. I am hoping that someone knows of a stand alone wiring harness that I can just install that is “ plug and play”. Or do I need to build my own? I have the complete donor truck that the ISX came out of and have made sure not to cut any wires but rather just found the plugs and disconnected them.

Thank you

The emissions systems and e-log requirements FOLLOW THE ENGINE YEAR REQUIREMENTS .. NOT THE CHASSIS YEAR .. so essentially you are not skating any laws.. or getting away with anything by putting a 2012 engine into a 1997 truck.. other than creating a serious headache and a truck that is going to be illegal on the road ways unless a whole lot of other things happen to get it up to par.

You should also be aware that all of the emissions systems for that CM2250 engine have also to be installed for the truck + a certification sticker obtained for it, for it to be legal to drive as well. Then to register it as a 'glider'. Otherwise you are making a huge red flag if it is driven with the wrong year/emissions model engine in it. -== ALSO.. it will NOT qualify for paper-only logs any more.. as the rules governing the e-logs stipulate that if the engine is compatible with e-logs (it has J1939 capability) .. then they must be used as well.

Anyone inspects it .. it is game over for that truck in a hurry and some hefty fines for the truck owner.. and possible even more hefty fines for anyone or shop who installed that engine if those emissions + after-treatment systems were not all put on to go with it.

I certainly would not want to own it in that condition, as it is a big gamble of the future of the vehicle. Otherwise, personally, I don't care one way or the other, but you cannot say that you have not been warned about the problems and legal issues that someone creates by doing what you are attempting.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
11-23-2022, (Subject: CM 2250 wiring harness ) 
(11-16-2022 )Truckdriven Wrote:  As stated Kustom Truck will build you a harness for a price, They have one listed on there website for $2950. I have done a repower already by taking the harness from the donor truck then pull the pins from the plug and install them in the proper position in the plug for the repower truck. You'll need diagrams for both trucks to know what wire goes where. In your case there if the Pete was hardwired to the controls you will need a harness with all the wires for each switch and the donor harness would not be of much value as that truck communicated mostly by can bus, Then you would need to build most of the harness from scratch or have Kustom Truck build one. That being said I do not know anything about how the Pete was wired. In my opinion it would not be hard to build the harness as you already have the plug for the ECM from the donor truck harness and you have the truck end plug from the original harness, it would depend if you have the tools to crimp whatever type of terminals onto the wires for the plugs you have. Also if you that engine gets all the controls hardwired you will need to use Insite turn multiplexing off in the ECM.

I have actually spoke with kustom truck. They informed me that in order to use their harness I would not be able to run the after treatment system. Unfortunately that is a problem for me because I live in California. It’s looking more and more like we will have to build this harness ourselves. The unfortunate part about that is the guy that is helping me with this project does not have a lot of time
replyreply
11-23-2022, (Subject: CM 2250 wiring harness ) 
(11-16-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  

Thank you

The emissions systems and e-log requirements FOLLOW THE ENGINE YEAR REQUIREMENTS .. NOT THE CHASSIS YEAR .. so essentially you are not skating any laws.. or getting away with anything by putting a 2012 engine into a 1997 truck.. other than creating a serious headache and a truck that is going to be illegal on the road ways unless a whole lot of other things happen to get it up to par.

You should also be aware that all of the emissions systems for that CM2250 engine have also to be installed for the truck + a certification sticker obtained for it, for it to be legal to drive as well. Then to register it as a 'glider'. Otherwise you are making a huge red flag if it is driven with the wrong year/emissions model engine in it. -== ALSO.. it will NOT qualify for paper-only logs any more.. as the rules governing the e-logs stipulate that if the engine is compatible with e-logs (it has J1939 capability) .. then they must be used as well.

Anyone inspects it .. it is game over for that truck in a hurry and some hefty fines for the truck owner.. and possible even more hefty fines for anyone or shop who installed that engine if those emissions + after-treatment systems were not all put on to go with it.

I certainly would not want to own it in that condition, as it is a big gamble of the future of the vehicle. Otherwise, personally, I don't care one way or the other, but you cannot say that you have not been warned about the problems and legal issues that someone creates by doing what you are attempting.

Thank you for your insight. I’m not trying to skate by any laws. I’m trying to keep the after treatment installed and operational. California says if I want to keep running this truck I have to repower it to a 2010 year engine or newer. So that’s what I’m attempting to do. I wish I would have known the difference between between a cm2250 and a cm2350 before I bought this truck.

I am unfamiliar with how the e log regulations. What is J1939?

Also the term glider and what it means is new to me and I would like to know what that means exactly. I have heard that term thrown around a lot.

Any other information is greatly appreciated

Thank you
replyreply
11-24-2022, (Subject: CM 2250 wiring harness ) 
What happened to the 3406E ? That's a hell of a durable engine.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
A glider is a truck that was bought new with no engine or transmission and sometimes rears. Its so you can build the truck to your prefrences. J1939 is the data link (a twisted pair of wires, green and yellow) that connects all of your ecu's to each other so they can communicate using pwm (pulse width modulation) kinda like flicking a light switch extremely fast.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BigHarvey56
(11-24-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  What happened to the 3406E ? That's a hell of a durable engine.

It has water coming out the exhaust when the the cooling system is pressurized and then it must have filled a cylinder with coolant because it hydro locked the engine and also had water in the oil. So I live in California. A previous owner installed an aftermarket DPF and that allows me to operate the truck in the north half of the state and only the north half. Sure I can run it out out state but that is not how my operation works. I contract with Cal Fire and need to be able to run the whole state if needed. So ultimately I just wanted to update it and to be able to go where I want or need to.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.