2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ??
12-07-2022, (Subject: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ?? ) 
RE: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ??
X15 doesn't use a crankcase filter, it's got some other new fangled system on it that cummins says never needs to be serviced

Your posts are quite confusing. Now you say your losing coolant when you pressure test, before you said it wasn't losing any pressure at all when you pressure test, which is it? And are you doing the test correctly??

If your getting excess pressure in your cooling system it could be combustion gases from a dropped liner.

If you have established that your losing coolant and its not an external leak, the only thing left is either your burning it or its going into the oil. You could drop the dpf and easily tell if your burning it.

To check for a dropped liner you'll need to pressure test it overnight with the oil pan off then slowly turn the engine by hand and look up at the bottom of the liners for drops of coolant, most likely #5 or #6.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
12-07-2022, (Subject: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ?? ) 
RE: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ??
(12-07-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  X15 doesn't use a crankcase filter, it's got some other new fangled system on it that cummins says never needs to be serviced

Your posts are quite confusing. Now you say your losing coolant when you pressure test, before you said it wasn't losing any pressure at all when you pressure test, which is it?

If your getting excess pressure in your cooling system it could be combustion gases from a dropped liner.
If you have established that your losing coolant and its not an external leak, the only thing left is either your burning it or its going into the oil. You could drop the dpf to see if your burning it.

To check for a dropped liner you'll need to pressure test it overnight with the oil pan off then slowly turn the engine by hand and look up at the bottom of the liners for drops of coolant, most likely #5 or #6.

My first initial pressure test was only 30 minutes long. Didn’t lose any pressure. Rawze suggested that I needed to pressurize it over night for several hours. So I had it pressurized all day and around the 8 hour mark is when it started to dribble out of the overflow . I’ll be pulling the dpf today and check that. I don’t think it’s going into the oil. I did have a oil sample done and showed no signs of water/coolant contamination.
replyreply
Your doing it wrong if coolant is able to come out of the overflow. The idea behind this test is to seal the system completely so coolant could only escape from places it shouldn't be able to escape from. ie. Loose clamps, worn hoses, etc. Your pressure relief cap should NOT BE ON THE TRUCK AT ALL DURING THIS TEST

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BrandonOlsen
(12-07-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  Your doing it wrong if coolant is able to come out of the overflow. The idea behind this test is to seal the system completely so coolant could only escape from places it shouldn't be able to escape from. ie. Loose clamps, worn hoses, etc. Your pressure relief cap should NOT BE ON THE TRUCK AT ALL DURING THIS TEST

That helps. When I first made the post in the first comments I said I was pressurizing it through the radiator hose and nobody corrected me on that. That’s my fault. So that’s how I did it the second time. I will correct it and run the pressure test again. Thank you
replyreply
I was wrong. They put a reman head on because new wasn’t available. This is what I got for asking on the height for the counter bore “Not sure what thickness of shims but liner protrusion was set to .013 per spec when finished. “
replyreply
12-10-2022, (Subject: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ?? ) 
Did the test again and no leaks. I did replace the charge air cooler and unloaded valve that was all plugged up and seems my problems have all faded away. Seems to me the charge air cooler can do some odd things. So as of now truck is running good. Don’t see any sort of smoke and turbo isn’t surging at idle anymore
replyreply
12-10-2022, (Subject: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ?? ) 
(12-07-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  I was wrong. They put a reman head on because new wasn’t available. This is what I got for asking on the height for the counter bore “Not sure what thickness of shims but liner protrusion was set to .013 per spec when finished. “

Many times, when a reman head is purchased through Cummins, the reman head will be a new one in the crate. Hopefully they did install a new head, and not just slap your old one back on, many shops do that and charge you for a new head.

If they installed an aftermarket Chinesium head, be ready to install a new one. Hopefully your shop bought through Cummins, because odds are, that reman head was a new one, and hopefully you dodged a bullet.

The way to tell is to look on the back of the head for the serial number, it will be welded into the metal. If you have one of those bore hole inspection cameras, you may be able to snake the lens around to read that serial number to determine new or reman.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BrandonOlsen

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.