How’s this Egr Cooler and Valve Look?
11-22-2022, (Subject: How’s this Egr Cooler and Valve Look? ) 
How’s this Egr Cooler and Valve Look?
First time doing this. Does this look normal ? Best method to clean it ?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: How’s this Egr Cooler and Valve Look?
(11-22-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  First time doing this. Does this look normal ? Best method to clean it ?

Also how’s the turbo look?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
On the EGR cooler, never heard of cleaning them, they either work or they don't, start leaking coolant. The EGR Valve, I would use carb cleaner from the auto parts store and a tooth brush. I believe Rawze has a video on that subject. The Turbo looks ok to me, is it having issues?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BrandonOlsen
11-23-2022, (Subject: How’s this Egr Cooler and Valve Look? ) 
(11-22-2022 )Waterloo Wrote:  On the EGR cooler, never heard of cleaning them, they either work or they don't, start leaking coolant. The EGR Valve, I would use carb cleaner from the auto parts store and a tooth brush. I believe Rawze has a video on that subject. The Turbo looks ok to me, is it having issues?

On the cooler I was more or less wondering if it looked "normal" as i've never seen one apart before. I ended up getting carb cleaner and cleaned it up nicely and started taking the rest of the egr pipe off to continue clean it all the way through. For the turbo i'm having problem with excessive exhaust back pressure between 800-1000rpm and boost shoots up. I'm leaning on maybe the actuator. I thought it was trying to regen but more I thought about it I dont think it was. When it regens truck makes a little boost and thats what made me think that. That's why im doing a complete egr tune-up. But I have not smelled the "regen" when it happens. On the turbo I didn't know if the while stuff on top of the blades was normal or not. If you look at the center of the turbo the round peice it looks like its partially broken off and didnt know if thats suppose to be like that or if it broke and I need to be worried
replyreply
(11-23-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  ... On the turbo I didn't know if the while stuff on top of the blades was normal or not. If you look at the center of the turbo the round peice it looks like its partially broken off and didnt know if thats suppose to be like that or if it broke and I need to be worried

looked perfectly normal to me. The part your claiming is "broken off" is not.. it is part of how they shave the impeller to balance it after it is assembled.

as far as it being dirty.. someone was cheaping out on air filters.. not changing then m enough. or ran it with one of those garbage aftermarket "washable" air filters. -== ANY dust of dirt going into that engine and turbo will very quickly shorten the life of the engine and cause permanent excessive blo-by in the cylinders.. A proper air cleaner and regular replacements is extremely important.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
You should use charcoal lighter fluid or carb&choke cleaner. Brake cleaner seems to turn things into soot magnets and they get Carboned up twice as fast.

You can clean an egr cooler, they do get plugged up eventually. If you have it off it's a good time to do it. Unless you have very few miles/hours of run time on it.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1606-w...solutions/

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , BrandonOlsen
(11-23-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-23-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  ... On the turbo I didn't know if the while stuff on top of the blades was normal or not. If you look at the center of the turbo the round peice it looks like its partially broken off and didnt know if thats suppose to be like that or if it broke and I need to be worried

looked perfectly normal to me. The part your claiming is "broken off" is not.. it is part of how they shave the impeller to balance it after it is assembled.

as far as it being dirty.. someone was cheaping out on air filters.. not changing then m enough. or ran it with one of those garbage aftermarket "washable" air filters. -== ANY dust of dirt going into that engine and turbo will very quickly shorten the life of the engine and cause permanent excessive blo-by in the cylinders.. A proper air cleaner and regular replacements is extremely important.

I did replace the filter 2 weeks ago. How often do you recommend changing them out ? I’ve googled it and every answer is different. I haul cattle and do take a lot of gravel roads to get to where I have to go
replyreply
(11-23-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  
(11-23-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  

I did replace the filter 2 weeks ago. How often do you recommend changing them out ? I’ve googled it and every answer is different. I haul cattle and do take a lot of gravel roads to get to where I have to go

There is no real schedule, if you are in dusty conditions, take the filter out every week or couple of weeks and knock the dust out, or use an air compressor to blow it out from the inside. When I was working in the oil fields in ND, I think we changed them out every 6 weeks maybe every two months in the summer months. We were considered off road, and the dust was pretty brutal on the dirt roads.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BrandonOlsen
Put a wad of fresh grease on the inside of the air filter housing past the filter, ya know where ONLY clean air should be. Check that grease You'll be able to see how long you can go before dirt starts getting past it

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , BrandonOlsen

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.