Very strange smell. Stumped
12-18-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
RE: Very strange smell. Stumped
I was just up at my local KW dealer, that explains the stainless steel blower box I saw on a shelf. I was wondering what that was all about, now I know. Makes sense too, who would ever think to look at the blower box?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
12-21-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
i wouldnt have known how bad the box was if my blower motor hadnt died. when i pulled the lid off it had chunks of rust fall off it. i replaced the egr gasket and put on a new v band clamp. having a hard time getting it to seal with the manifold.i also noticed the manifold bolts were reused during the in-frame. manifold itself looks to be fairly old. gonna take it somewhere today and get everything checked for leaks
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
12-23-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
Update! The major leak has been fixed. Apparently all of my problems were caused by the multi-layer gasket between the exhaust manifold and the EGR. I had replaced it but apparently I didn’t get the clamp back on exactly right so it wasn’t getting tight enough. I still have one very minor leak at the small tube for the exhaust pressure sensor. Gonna stop in Knoxville and pick one up. Hopefully that takes care of the exhaust leaks. Thanks again guys
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , marek4792 , Waterloo
12-23-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
(12-23-2022 )Grumpyjoewv Wrote:  ...

I still have one very minor leak at the small tube for the exhaust pressure sensor. Gonna stop in Knoxville and pick one up. Hopefully that takes care of the exhaust leaks. Thanks again guys

Some advice on removing that old tiny tube that supplies the exhaust manifold pressure sensor. The fitting tends to round out and get stuck in the manifold for a lot of people due to exhaust heat exposure.

First... don't even try to use an open end wrench on the exhaust manifold side fitting. You will just round out the fitting. Have a new replacement tube ready and just cut the tube part itself off at the fitting so that you can use a 6-sided socket on it. Do not use a 12-sided socket on it, as this is just as bad as using the open end of a wrench.

If it does not want to move fairly easily.. don't try to force it.. heat the whole fitting up until it is glowing a dull red with a small propane or map-gas hand-torch bottle, takes about 5+ minutes to get it nice and hot, and then work it as it cools. -= It will come out without destroying or stripping it, even if it is real stubborn.

When you install the new one .. use some copper (not aluminum), or other higher-temp rated anti-sieze on the threads of the fitting to prevent souch troubles in the future.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Papa_Buck

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.