Very strange smell. Stumped
12-11-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
RE: Very strange smell. Stumped
Looks like a leak to me! Probably one of those o-rings in there. Bet it’s pinched.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
12-11-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
This one is a multi-layer metal gasket. Make sure the mounting surfaces aren't warped. Also when installing a new gasket cummins actually recommends using a high temp antiseize on the clamp itself in the v-bands, my guess its to make sure the clamp gets fully seated on what it is clamping together, also helps to tap the EGR valve a few times in each direction while tightening the clamp to properly seat everything.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
12-12-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
Ok thanks guys. I’m waiting for Cummins to open to see if I can get what I need. Already ordered a Shorline heater box. Will update as soon as I have something. Thanks again guys
replyreply
12-12-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
Also look at seal/boot between sleeper and cab,especially under carpet strip.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
12-16-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
That’s something else I didn’t think of. Thanks Skydog. I replaced the gasket and clamp and the issue is still present. It’s pretty cold here in WV tonight and it’s way more noticeable when it’s cold. I can’t tell what it is. It smells like an exhaust leak, but there’s a hint of something else. Just can’t figure out what it is. I’m still lookin’
replyreply
12-16-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
Hey Rawze how about I just bring the danged thing to you? Lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
12-17-2022, (Subject: Very strange smell. Stumped ) 
(12-16-2022 )Grumpyjoewv Wrote:  Hey Rawze how about I just bring the danged thing to you? Lol

If you go, figure out your culinary delight, buy the ingredients, take to Rawze, along with some fine adult beverages... Just don't skimp... The man can cook, and he enjoys a fine drink. ;-)

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker
(12-16-2022 )Grumpyjoewv Wrote:  Hey Rawze how about I just bring the danged thing to you? Lol

no taking on guests as of late. Recovering from 2 major surgeries and just want to take a break from it all any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-11-2022 )Grumpyjoewv Wrote:  Well I found one major leak. Rawze is this one of the connections you were talking about that has a gasket or an o-ring? It’s the clamp on the end of the exhaust manifold just above where the EGR cooler used to connect. Check picture below. Also found that my heater box has serious rust issues on top. Couldn’t be seen from the ground so I’m guessing this might be where the fumes are coming in.

It's been a while since I had a kw however when I did have one I had the same issue with the blower box, if you going to replace it there was a stainless model available aftermarket. In the short term aluminum roof tape might seal it temporarily until you can fix it correctly. That stuff seems to stick to anything it worked on the t800 I had.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.