2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ??
12-06-2022, (Subject: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ?? ) 
RE: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ??
(12-06-2022 )ahub86 Wrote:  Not sure if it fits in with all your symptoms but could the steam/smoke be DEF? I had a DEF doser go bad and drizzle the DEF into the pipe rather than spray. It “steamed” for sure. I just was noticing that your stack looks similar to a DEF stain.

Not pertaining to your situation but a learning story: My doser was drizzling through and I didn’t know it. I was in a job in the morning and left my key on (engine off) listening to the radio while I waited my turn to unload (pressurizing the DEF system, oops). It pumped like 2 gallons into the system. When I fired that up and took off STEAM was an understatement. I learned that the DEF system is pressurized with the key in the run position and if I want to listen to the radio with the truck off now I turn it back to accessory position. Lol

I didn’t know that and I’m guilty about doing that. Wish I knew how to post video. I could show you the smoke I saw one night when I started the truck . Maybe looks the same. It was only while the turbo was “surging”. I did hear one time a week ago when the key was on I was outside of the truck and there was a high pitched noise coming from the turbo actuator . If it’s possible to post videos let me know and I’ll share!
replyreply
12-06-2022, (Subject: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ?? ) 
RE: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ??
That kinda looks like def to me as well. I would be willing to bet your def doser is leaking and your pipes and possibly catalyst is clogging.... Also your cac leak is a very important issue that does need to be fixed.....whether its a 2000 model or 2023.
replyreply
There is a DEF doser test in Insite. I unbolted mine from the pipe and let it hang by the hoses and ran the test. That way I could confirm that was where my trouble was for my problem. When the doser is working right it pulses a spray like a mist out of it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BrandonOlsen
12-07-2022, (Subject: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ?? ) 
(12-06-2022 )Bengy88 Wrote:  That kinda looks like def to me as well. I would be willing to bet your def doser is leaking and your pipes and possibly catalyst is clogging.... Also your cac leak is a very important issue that does need to be fixed.....whether its a 2000 model or 2023.

Got a new one today and just got it put on. I’ll be pulling doser tomorrow and look at that and run the doser test like another guy mentioned.

I have had the coolant system pressurized for probably a good 8 hours and it’s starting to seep through the overflow cap that’s rated at 15psi
replyreply
12-07-2022, (Subject: 2017 x15 Coolant system pressure test. Not losing pressure after 20 minutes ?? ) 
(12-06-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  ...
I noticed this week when I pulled the truck into the shop that my valve cover gasket started to leak on both sides. Not bad but still leaking reguardless.

If your valve cover is leaky and it is not improperly installed, then it is an indication of crank case fumes building up in the engine. This is a very bad thing to allow.

Crank case fumes are absolutely nothing to play around with. -= ANY allowance of pressure buildup inside that engine will wipe out the overhead cam, and also destroy the turbocharger.

What kind of crank case filter are you running?.. is it the paper one?.. or the newer maintenance-free one?.

ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...376#pid376

-= I suggest that everyone uses the maintenence-free crank case filter from cummins...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...50#pid8950

Otherwise, gut the paper element out of paper one all the way so that only its outer frame/gasket remains and put it back in without the element.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-07-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-06-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  ...
I noticed this week when I pulled the truck into the shop that my valve cover gasket started to leak on both sides. Not bad but still leaking reguardless.

If your valve cover is leaky and it is not improperly installed, then it is an indication of crank case fumes building up in the engine. This is a very bad thing to allow.

Crank case fumes are absolutely nothing to play around with. -= ANY allowance of pressure buildup inside that engine will wipe out the overhead cam, and also destroy the turbocharger.

What kind of crank case filter are you running?.. is it the paper one?.. or the newer maintenance-free one?.

ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...376#pid376

-= I suggest that everyone uses the maintenence-free crank case filter from cummins...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...50#pid8950

Otherwise, gut the paper element out of paper one all the way so that only its outer frame/gasket remains and put it back in without the element.

Run the maintenance free one. What would be my next thing to do then ? Pull the pan …?
replyreply
(12-05-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  ...

60 K miles on valve cover gasket at the time of overhaul. Everything but the head was done as it was to cummins specs .

this is a HUGE RED FLAG!... re-using the old head was a complete NO-NO!.... that engine now has a very high chance of head or head gasket failure now. I can almost predict that it will likely not last very long, it with a head gasket failure due to the head being re-used and no one raising the liners properly, or doing anything that actually extends the engines life properly. Those heads are throw-way... not repairable by a machine shop, .. not re-usable,.. nothing, once they have a lot of run time on them. Also if that shop was dumb enough to do this then i can almost bet that the rebuild was likely s&it too. -=- Did they counter-bore it.. and what did they set the final height to?.

Sounds to me like you very well could have ended up in a sh%it show of a situation there to me.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-07-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  ...
What would be my next thing to do then ? Pull the pan …?

All the white crap on the stacks is likely DEF, and all the white blasts of smoke when you get it good and hot is normal for an engine that is trying to regen... Your posts are not very clear what your trying to chase down there and are all over the place.

WHAT exactly are you complaining about?... is it loosing coolant?.. or not!?. how often are you having to add a gallon?.

replyreply
(12-07-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 )BrandonOlsen Wrote:  ...
What would be my next thing to do then ? Pull the pan …?

All the white crap on the stacks is likely DEF, and all the white blasts of smoke when you get it good and hot is normal for an engine that is trying to regen... Your posts are not very clear what your trying to chase down there and are all over the place.

WHAT exactly are you complaining about?... is it loosing coolant?.. or not!?. how often are you having to add a gallon?.

I’ve added roughly gallon of coolant in the last 35 days. Im trying to figure out why im getting the crankcase pressure. Valve cover seal just started to go. I check it every day and it started leaking on both sides and the front on the same day. And what is causing coolant to come out reservoir while doing pressure test. I did notice when I’ve driven it lately that the coolant line is on max line. When I get to operating temps it’s completely full instead of going down with temp. I just need to get to the bottom of this excess pressure coming from
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.