Metal shavings and chunks in differential
03-14-2023, (Subject: Metal shavings and chunks in differential ) 
RE: Metal shavings and chunks in differential
On inside adjustable parameters, it has the rear gear ratio setting. You set your speed and rpm breakpoint if load based speed control is on.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: arazdolgin
Im kinda giggling at the thought somebody would suggest leaving home with that diff. Like yes let me leave the shop at home with some crap i know is broke so i can pay a tow truck to drag it from the roadside in the middle of nowhere to an overpriced shop in the middle of nowhere and pay a motel bill while they take their dear sweet time ordering and installing parts... what an amazing plan.
replyreply
(03-14-2023 )arazdolgin Wrote:  So fixed my front differential. D46-170 with 4.10 rears cost me 7k from Drivetrain in Chicago, pretty expensive, plus labor.

The repair guys from Drivetrain said: “ We found out the input and power divider components where worn out, and the ring and pinion started to pit.
Something also ran through the pinion drive gear.” Is that means I used diff lock and broke it? I did it once with heavy stuff with side curb.

This particular front differential was installed in 2020. I am heavy haul guy.

So my question is do i need to upgrade info in ECM if my original rears was 3.78, but I changed to 4.10 rears?

How to ensure the engine torque and speed governor is not rated/set higher than the diffs continuous use duty-cycle ratings (and not its peak ratings)??

Any opinion will be great as I don’t want to stuck in again, thank you

like was said.. something went thur them.

WHEN is the last time you inspected your hub bearings? .. and re-torqued them?. - Maybe a bad inner (or outer) hub bearing making metal shavings into the rears?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(03-14-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-14-2023 )arazdolgin Wrote:  So fixed my front differential. D46-170 with 4.10 rears cost me 7k from Drivetrain in Chicago, pretty expensive, plus labor.

The repair guys from Drivetrain said: “ We found out the input and power divider components where worn out, and the ring and pinion started to pit.
Something also ran through the pinion drive gear.” Is that means I used diff lock and broke it? I did it once with heavy stuff with side curb.

This particular front differential was installed in 2020. I am heavy haul guy.

So my question is do i need to upgrade info in ECM if my original rears was 3.78, but I changed to 4.10 rears?

How to ensure the engine torque and speed governor is not rated/set higher than the diffs continuous use duty-cycle ratings (and not its peak ratings)??

Any opinion will be great as I don’t want to stuck in again, thank you

like was said.. something went thur them.

WHEN is the last time you inspected your hub bearings? .. and re-torqued them?. - Maybe a bad inner (or outer) hub bearing making metal shavings into the rears?.

At Drivetrain and at the labor shop they suggest that the metal chunks were too big to go through. I showed them the metal parts and they are like cubicle rectangular not like bearings. But you’re right, we could check them while we are on them. Will inspect the bearings though

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.