Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd
01-10-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
RE: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd
(01-10-2023 )Redland1 Wrote:  Can a machine shop cut new threads into them?
What is damaged? Picture will help.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
01-11-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
RE: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd
(01-10-2023 )Redland1 Wrote:  Can a machine shop cut new threads into them?

It depends on how they are designed. Like Snail said some pictures of the threaded hole would be helpful. If it can be done, the spindles will have to come off the truck though. Also the threads will be a bigger size than they are now so you'll have to get custom caps made. It's gonna be a big project, did you go back on the shop that did this?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
01-11-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
I hate to say it but the only way to fix this will be a new cap and spindal We had one in here same thing and that guy took it back and the people put the cap back on and welded it. So the guy was up set and left. The next time he took his truck for service the grease was comming out of cap between welds. So the guy came to us to repair it. Once I cut the cap off there was no threads in top of spindal. So we replaced it...the other side was ok.. Look to me as if they couldnt get it started back straight and they impacted it on.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Redland1
I've noticed the replacement caps that come with some of the stemco king pin kits aren't the right thread and will go on tighter than they should. You could put an impact on it and probably force it down, which I'm sure these hack shops do. I ended up not using them, I got OEM caps from the dealer.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Redland1 , snailexpress , Rawze , Nostalgic
02-19-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
If I have them welded on for now until I can find some decently priced used spindles will it mess up the heat treatment on the metal?
replyreply
02-19-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
(02-19-2023 )Redland1 Wrote:  If I have them welded on for now until I can find some decently priced used spindles will it mess up the heat treatment on the metal?

With grease in them, good luck getting a solid weld that seals the caps. Every manufacturer out there says that heat should never be used on a spindle, and they shouldn't be welded on. That said, done correctly it shouldn't be an issue, but the my first point makes going that route kind of a moot point. Get your part number and shop around. Frontier truck parts has a lot of new takeoff parts for a fraction of the cost of new, but the shop owes you a new spindle anyway - even from the dealer, they're not that expensive - $1-1.5k a side most likely.
replyreply
Did you talk to the shop that did the work? They willing to do anything about the situation?

Like Nostalgic said, the grease is gonna keep you from getting a good weld on it, especially the bottom caps. Personally I think it's a terrible idea even if it's just temporary.

replyreply
02-20-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
(02-19-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  Did you talk to the shop that did the work? They willing to do anything about the situation?

Like Nostalgic said, the grease is gonna keep you from getting a good weld on it, especially the bottom caps. Personally I think it's a terrible idea even if it's just temporary.

The guy that did it was left to Mexico the last I heard.He was actually doing some work for my brother at his shop when I asked him if he could do my kingpins.Didn’t know he was a shitty mechanic and my brother actually fired him not long after the king pins for doing crappy work.Guess I’m going to bite the bullet and buy them.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.