Cummins Insite/ECM update question?
09-13-2016, (Subject: Cummins Insite/ECM update question? ) 
Cummins Insite/ECM update question?
Hello all!
I am running Insite 7.6.2 with Inline 5 - no problems. I am interested in learning how to do my own ecm updates. (Not looking to change any parameters or anything.) I've heard that any of the new ecm updates will lock you out of 7.6.2 and will force you to upgrade to the 8 version. If this is true, I would like to avoid that!
So, assuming I can get the file that I want to upload to my ecm, can anyone help me understand what the process is, like what extra programs I need to find?
If I know what it is I'm looking for, I think I can find it, just need some help to get headed in the right direction. Any advice or insite hahaha is appreciated! - Miriam

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Cummins Insite/ECM update question?
(09-13-2016 )JMBT Wrote:  Hello all!
I am running Insite 7.6.2 with Inline 5 - no problems. I am interested in learning how to do my own ecm updates. (Not looking to change any parameters or anything.) I've heard that any of the new ecm updates will lock you out of 7.6.2 and will force you to upgrade to the 8 version. If this is true, I would like to avoid that!
So, assuming I can get the file that I want to upload to my ecm, can anyone help me understand what the process is, like what extra programs I need to find?
If I know what it is I'm looking for, I think I can find it, just need some help to get headed in the right direction. Any advice or insite hahaha is appreciated! - Miriam

Most of the time, -- Generally, you do not need to update your ECM unless there is a known issue that an update will solve, or there is a serious improvement in how the engine and/or the emissions system(s) will perform. It is not like a Windows-PC where it needs constant updates.

Here are some things to know ...

* As of mid July 2016, Any ECM update files from cummins, either through Quickserv, OR Incal (update-disk cd-rom set of all engines), the calibration updates will NOT work with Insite 7.62 when downloaded as they are. The only thing that changed is the compression format of the files, so all one has to do is uncompress them, then re-compress them into the older format before use. - This is no big deal anyways for a lot of people, as there is nothing in the newer files whatsoever out for the CM871 and older engines pre-2011. From what I have seen, they seem to have finalized those engines programming, and have since moved on to the newer stuff.

* If you have downloaded an ECM update from Quickserv, etc. that is dated AFTER July of this year, .. Trying to use the update file on the older version of Insite will not render Insite useless or force you to update it. It simply will not flash the ecu with the newer file if you are trying to flash the ECU, unless you chaneg the compression format of the file back to the older style. If Insite itself is trying to tell you to update it, then it is the update manager you have installed doing so, not Insite itself.

* Since not everyone in the world runs OEM programming on their engines., I thought I should mention that people should know that ECM updates will overwrite everything in the ECM. If you have any kind of non-oem custom tuning, etc. then it will be lost, so in all reality, this only effects people trying to re-flash their ECU with a factory program.

* If you do not have any kind of custom programming and you require an update that is newer than Jul. (2016),.. simply change the file compression format back to the older style before opening insite and it will use it just fine.

* If your trying to PIRATE a version of Insite, the newer update files, or Insite-8 --- TAKE THOSE QUESTIONS TO OTHER FORUMS THAT DO THAT KIND OF THING!!!!-- THIS SITE IS NOT FOR SOFTWARE TRADING/PIRATING!!!!

=====

I.E. --

If you have custom tuning, etc... forget about updating it yourself, and/or using files from the OEM etc. all together. Using incal files to re-flash your ECU will erase what you had done. Contact whoever did the programming if you have trouble, or want to see if there is an update available from them. -- Otherwise, if your truck still has OEM programming, then take it to a dealer if you want it updated to the latest version. If it is the dealer you are headed towards,... price it around and don't get ripped off.

The changes to INCAL disks /downloaded INCAL files has nothing to do whatsoever with using insite to troubleshoot, perform tests, etc. on your truck/engine. Older Insite will wo0rk just fine even if you have an update to the latest calibration done. - It only effects people trying to re-flash, say a blank ECU, like at a repair shop when replacing one, and it is easy enough to get around simply by re-compressing the file(s) needed into the older format before use.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Thanks for the fast reply!
No custom tuning here, not trying to do anything out of the ordinary. Don't want to go to the shop because of the latest updates that will leave my old insite not functioning anymore. I am hopeful that an update would clear up a few glitches. I think my hubby talked to you a bit about our regen issues. All is sound on the engine and the after treatment, but it's still initiating a regen every 350 miles or 6 hours, whichever is first, and then it realizes it doesn't actually need one and quits. I guess I was hoping an ecm update might help that, but not wanting to go to a shop.
Again, thanks for the reply - def not looking for any pirating of 8 - no interest in any of that. Just want to keep the rig running as long as possible and out of the shop if possible!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(09-13-2016 )JMBT Wrote:  Thanks for the fast reply!
No custom tuning here, not trying to do anything out of the ordinary. Don't want to go to the shop because of the latest updates that will leave my old insite not functioning anymore. I am hopeful that an update would clear up a few glitches. I think my hubby talked to you a bit about our regen issues. All is sound on the engine and the after treatment, but it's still initiating a regen every 350 miles or 6 hours, whichever is first, and then it realizes it doesn't actually need one and quits. I guess I was hoping an ecm update might help that, but not wanting to go to a shop.
Again, thanks for the reply - def not looking for any pirating of 8 - no interest in any of that. Just want to keep the rig running as long as possible and out of the shop if possible!

Vin, Unilevers, or Gearhead, here on the forum can update it to whatever it needs/latest factory file/ver. but it is not likely to solve much of any of the troubles you are describing. You can put it off as long as you like,.. but someday,.. I see a mandate removal in your future if it is already acting up, and you are doing tune-up work like recommended. That would be the only alternative to getting raped by the stealerships all the damn time with it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
09-16-2016, (Subject: Cummins Insite/ECM update question? ) 
Oh ok thanks! That gives me hope - last update was mid 2014. Worth a shot anyway.

replyreply
02-19-2019, (Subject: Cummins Insite/ECM update question? ) 
(09-13-2016 )JMBT Wrote:  ...
Don't want to go to the shop because of the latest updates that will leave my old insite not functioning anymore.

You now, I missed this incorrect comment within your reply back a year+ ago,.. so I will re-address this ....

you seem to be confusing one issue (re-flashing ECU's) with conclusions that are not related (using Insite for troubleshooting, etc).

NO! an update to newer than 2016 ecu software does NOT render your Insite inoperable in any way,.. It will work just the same for troubleshooting, tests, etc. to date (feb-2019).

I have heard rumor that at some time in the future, this may change,.. but there will always be a work around for engines up to this point.

replyreply
02-20-2019, (Subject: Cummins Insite/ECM update question? ) 
Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it! I was mistaken. I have way too much in my head to remember everything I have heard in years past. So....that is why I asked.
While we are on the subject of clarification, would you shed a little light on the thing I PM’d you about. Thanks

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.