Cummins ISL CM2150 shutdown on grades
01-15-2023, (Subject: Cummins ISL CM2150 shutdown on grades ) 
Cummins ISL CM2150 shutdown on grades
We have a Cummins ISL CM2150 that is going into shutdown mode on steep grades. It has mandates removed. Fuel filters replaced a couple times with no change. No history or current trouble codes present, gauges all in normal range, no warning lights come on. When shutdown occurs, it loses all power with no throttle response, it continues to run at idle until the vehicle comes to a stop and then shuts itself off. It only has 67k miles on it and it runs great other than the shutdown problem. It restarts immediately once the key is cycled off and then back on. We have been watching the data on a Autel 908CV scan tool and everything is in normal range. It acts as if some pressure or temperature limit has been reached and it is going into self protection mode. EGT is maxing out at 1170 degrees. Our next step is to buy a new ECM and get a new aftermarket program. We have two questions: Does anyone have any experience with this particular issue of complete shutdown with no codes? Who is the best person to talk to about getting a quality program for a new computer? Thanks for any good advice!
replyreply
RE: Cummins ISL CM2150 shutdown on grades
You need to pull the program and send it to Rawze. He'll tell you if it's good or bad, most likely it's bad. There's no sense in doing anything else with it until you fix the program or confirm it is not the problem.

Also you need to buy an inline adapter and get the cummins insite program in order to work on these engines. Aftermarket scantools and diagnostic software that's made to use on all engines will leave you guessing if the data your reading is even accurate.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Before blaming expensive components.. you need to fix the most obvious things first.

yup.. first thing to do is copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review.

more than 90%+ of all de-mandate and custom programming for cummins engines is beyond nothing but total garbage and it is an absolute plague in the trucking industry. You could take it to 50 different shops that do this stuffs, all claim they are better than the last place.. waste thousand of $$$ on that garbage over and over.. .. and will be no better off whatsoever.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-15-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  Before blaming expensive components.. you need to fix the most obvious things first.

yup.. first thing to do is copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review.

more than 90%+ of all de-mandate and custom programming for cummins engines is beyond nothing but total garbage and it is an absolute plague in the trucking industry. You could take it to 50 different shops that do this stuffs, all claim they are better than the last place.. waste thousand of $$$ on that garbage over and over.. .. and will be no better off whatsoever.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

I appreciate the help! I have been chasing this problem for over a year. Can you recommend which Insite software and adapter I should purchase and who to purchase it from? It’s a 2009 model year, so I would rather not purchase a new $3000 laptop setup if possible.
replyreply
Most of us here just buy the Chinese version like this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254353420216?mk...media=COPY

They work just fine. That listing comes with the insite 7.6.2 program which is all you'll need for that engine. Buy a cheap laptop for $300 and your off to the races.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
It’s on order, thanks again for the help!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.